Then came attachment of the lining. I sewed the lining hem to the coat hem by machine, right sides together. The lining is 3/4" shorter than the coat. I was very glad I thread-basted the hemline with red silk thread. I learned to love thread-basting seamlines - it is reassuring to see where the stitching line belongs, or in this case, the hemline.
It's not possible to see it, but I sewed the hem to the interlining and then flipped up the lining.
On to the sleeves! I used these nice sleeve heads that I got back when I joined the Great Coat Sew-Along. (I had sewn 2 coats the previous winter so I did not sew a coat during the sewalong, but I did get the all-important notions when Marji generously organized them for the group. Thanks, Marji!)
I looked at Els sleeve head tutorial and determined that the outer edge of the sleeve head gets sewn along the seam where the sleeve is set in to the coat. The notch belongs at the shoulder seam and the longer end belongs on the back side of the sleeve.
I cut the seam allowance down to 1/4" and zig-zagged to neaten.