Here is one of Archie's daily activities. Life must be so different for her now that she lives indoors! How exciting it must be when she finds a glass of water! Free water! No leaves in the bottom! This glass is short, but the tall ones are so much easier to knock over. (Rescue Mamma is funny when she steps in soggy carpet and yelps!)
The photo below is a view of the Warm Windows quilted batting, attached temporarily with push pins along the top and folded in half - the open position.
You can see the join seam, which still needs to be trimmed. Per the advice of the good folks at patternreview, I will trim out the inner layers to about, oh 1/4" or 3/8". Then I will trim out the outer layer to a wee bit more, so that it will encase the inner layers neatly. Then fold the seam to one side and secure with a strip of steam-a-seam (a fusible binding). That will make the seam almost invisible. Don't press the seam open, as it may allow cold draftiness through.
This fabric comes with the channels set up railroad style, meaning parallel with the selvedge edge. Since you generally want the channels to run horizontally on the finished shade, you must join another piece if the window is longer than 60". Mine is over 70 inches.
When I went to sleep last night, I was just exhausted from all the little decision-making steps. Do I want velcro along the sides or magnets? How big do I want the folds? Do I want the sides to seal flush with the wall? (Ideally, yes- but the right edge of the window goes all the way into a corner, so there was no wall there to form a seal... oh what to do?!) Decision-making is the HARDEST part of these home improvement projects!
A major setback (in the vision of the completed shade) was having second thoughts about the glorious fabric I had wanted to use. I am just afraid it will be weird to have only one window done with a Roman Shade, and the room is small- so maybe I can't live with so much drama on the walls. It is a sewing studio, first and foremost, to it has to be a blank canvas for creativity.
Below is a view of the shade hanging down, completely covering the window (and the wall above the window)
Before I tacked up the shade, I decided I needed 1x2 boards all the way around the window. This is an old building that dates back to 1850 but it was converted to apartments in 1953. I am guessing the lack of moulding in our unit was the intentional aesthetic of the architect because, well, the whole place is an unusual example of mid-century modern design.
So here is the window with its new frame.
And that is the beginning of the story of day #2. If this sounds like an easy project, it is not. The size of the window and the awkward position next to the wall is one thing. But you haven't cursed until you have tried to cut a straight line on a piece of 60" by 120" warm windows fabric!
On the website they suggest you set up a 4' x 8' piece of plywood to use as a workspace. I figured my cutting table would be good enough. Well, it is good enough if you don't mind the cursing. (it was hard!)
All it would take for me to enjoy Home Dec sewing would be a huge cutting table and a sewing machine mounted flush in its worktable. It is the size of the project that gets you.
OK, I am glad to start day #2 with clarity. I will not even bother with the Roman shade lift mechanism- I just don't think I need it. This won't be a shade that goes up and down, it will be a quilt that can be fold in half during the day and dropped down to cover the whole window at night
I'll install 5 hooks along the top of the rail, and I will add 5 loops at the bottom edge. Simple.
I will visit my local quilting shop with a sample of the WW batting to ask for the appropriate spray adhesive. I will select a very neutral fabric for the facing of the shade. Plus they sell Janome machines and it's always fun to see what's new.
Happy Sewing, friends.
May we all sew a cute garment soon, and stop all this "necessary" sewing.