Corsets are pretty interesting, aren't they? I haven't "needed" one but I've always wanted to make one and now my wish has been granted.
|This is mockup #2 - a single layer corset made from coutil.|
I created the channels from the serged seam allowances.
Instead of setting in the eyelets, I used eyelet tape - quicker & easier.
I decided to start with something pretty basic so I could make my beginners' mistakes and learn the ropes. I sewed mockup #1 using a very stable shirting fabric and rigilene boning (because it is so easy to stitch it in). The fit needed only small tweaking; I drafted the pattern from the moulage I'd made. I moved on to mockup #2, this time sewn in coutil. It felt like it was almost sewing itself until it came time to attach the tips to the spiral steel boning. Oh my! It found it difficult to get the tips attached securely and if you get boning stuck into a channel, that tip will come off while pulling the boning back out. Then you need to
unpick the seam to get it out take a break! While I was resting my hands and my attitude, I found some other options online. I plan to pick up some Plasti Dip at the hardware store and give that a try.
Meanwhile, I researched corselets, too. You may have seen pictures of inner corselets on couture dresses:
|This is a highly customized way to provide structure to a gown.|
I still think a stand-alone corset is the best option for our situation, though I was attracted to the lightness of the corselets. They can be cooler as they are sewn from cotton tulle (aka bobbinet) So I looked for and found a reasonably priced source of English bobbinet online (here) and placed my order.
|At the base of my half-size dress form, there is normally a stack of fabrics. I put it away and now there is rigilene there. That's all I am doing - this summer is all about formalwear and alterations!|
|The color is perfect and this is not easy to find. I looked locally - at G Street Fabrics and A Fabric Place. I couldn't even find a pale silver that looked nice to me. So! That's finished.|
Thank you for all the feedback on my post about skirt options! I really appreciate the opinions. I am leaning towards the knee-length full softly-pleated skirt but I am putting that off for a little while as I pursue corset experimentation.
I may still try a long line bra, which is an interesting concept, too. I've taken both of Beverly Johnson's classes on craftsy.com and they are excellent - I want her to teach another class and get into long-line bras!! I've made several bras, years ago, using her Pin Up Girl Classic pattern - it creates a very pretty profile. If you are interested in more information along these lines, there are a lot of good articles on foundationsrevealed.com.
Oh - one more project! Bridesmaid dress alteration: when the teal fabric arrived, the color match was not close enough. Lesson learned: color is hard to judge from a small Pantone chip. The dress had a lining /underlayer topped with chiffon. I took a panel of fabric from the lining/underlayer. I replaced it with the wrong side of a poly satin I found locally. With the chiffon overlay, the "off" color underneath was not visible. I used the fabric I stole from the underlayer to make the gussets in the side seams. In the end, it worked.
OK, that is what I have done and that is where I am.
More to come!!