Sunday, March 16, 2014

Cardigan and Pants

More fast & easy sewing is happening here in my sewing room. I made this cardigan a little while back and I don't think I posted it on the blog. It is the Laura Cardigan pattern by Style Arc:

This takes about an hour to sew. As usual, the pattern alterations take the most time! I continue to use the same alterations with every Style Arc pattern. Consistency in pattern sizing is a wonderful thing.

I used a gray heathered striped wool jersey that originally hailed from Fabric Mart. Interesting, my pants are sewn from ponte knit also from Fabric Mart! I bought TEN YARDS of the ponte knit when it was on sale for $2.99/yard. They mailed it on the bolt, and I can tell you that it will raise a husband's eyebrows when you start bringing bolts of fabric into the house.

I guess he doesn't mind, because he still takes photos for me :)


I can't say I am really happy with the pants. They just seem a little stiff and wrinkly. I had more illustrative pictures of those wrinkles (under-the-butt wrinkles) but I chose not to post unflattering pictures of my butt on the internet. You will have to see me in person for the full effect. At least they are in the back, where I don't have to see them!

The pants were too big, and I made a few alterations but overall, I remain puzzled by them. More accurately, I am puzzled by my body. If I had not gotten so immersed in sewing, I doubt if I'd have noticed how much my body changes. It seems like it doesn't stay consistent for more than a year or so. Sometimes I gain and sometimes I lose weight. I am alway exercising, although I get bored and change it up from time to time. I was really into Zumba for a while, but there is a barre studio in my new neighborhood, so I recently started taking barre classes. It really isn't like ballet at all - I admit to a little disappointment that we don't dance around. It is really hard work, one muscle group at a time! But it is great for my knee, so I like it.


I have other pants patterns to try, so maybe they will fit better. I know one thing, my home-sewing is a heck of a lot better than store-bought!

Enjoy what is left of the weekend!


15 comments:

  1. In these photos your pants look great! I too have some wrinkles in the back of most pants. I sometimes wonder if I've become overly critical of fit due to sewing. Anyway your ensemble is just great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, you are right about over critical - I bet that is at least part of it!

      Delete
  2. I always get those under the bum wrinkles too and they tend to get better as the garment ages. Anyway it's a nice combo and I bet you wear both pieces a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your pants look pretty good as well. Sometimes the comfy factor outweighs the fit issues. Your jacket looks very warm and snuggly, great for this horrid winter we are all going through1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin I don't stay the same size/shape for very long either. I find I have to re-evaluate any pattern I haven't made for more than 3 months. I also exercise regularly, vigorously, and change it up every 3 months when the schedule changes at my gym.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, Betsy - the exercise is so great for everything else, but it does interfere with my sewing a bit! Glad I am not the only one!

      Delete
  5. It is hard to say from these pictures, but I think those are the kind of wrinkles I get which mean I need a deeper crotch depth. The sweater looks great, and in fact, the Laura Cardigan is one of my all time favorite patterns--so quick and easy to sew and so comfy and flattering to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm, that could be it. I did a little pinching and pulling and I decided not to change anything, but ... I really do think the crotch curve is off somehow.

      Delete
  6. Have you tried the Linda pant? That and the Elle are my go-to patterns. I think it's amazing that Style Arc fits so many different body types.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, yes and I love the Linda pant! I do not have the Elle, but I will probably order it eventually. I like that the Lindas are just a little flared at the hem, and perhaps narrower at the knee.

      Delete
  7. Well, if the pants are too big, it doesn't show. But I know how you feel when something doesn't feel right or fit right. The cardigan is great and has such a lovely drape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't see it because I kept the cardigan on! ha ha. thanks Rhonda!

      Delete
  8. I'm certainly very happy to read this blog site posts which carries plenty of helpful data, thanks for providing such information.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GR0ESK0

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even if your weight stays the same and you exercise consistently age, unfortunately, continues to take its tole on our bodies. Makes it hard to get consistent fit. It's still a good outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, too, moved recently and unfortunately I moved away from a barre studio! It was a wonderful class, but really only perfect when I could roll out of bed at 6:15 for 6:30 class. Now that it's a drive to a studio . . . I haven't been. I'm glad you're enjoying it--it really does change the shape of things! My derriere is still higher than it used to be from the classes. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.