Sunday, March 9, 2014

a new dress, this time with sleeves

I finished the brown lace dress and I'm really happy with it - but it is too cold to wear a lace dress over a measley little slip! That will get worn when the weather is a little more temperate. So I sewed another dress, out of wool jersey and with long sleeves. This is Style Arc's Marita dress:


It is a very fast and easy dress. I actually sewed it last weekend in a very inexpensive ITY knit I had purchased from Fabric Mart in a what-was-I-thinking moment. The fabric was so loud and obnoxious I could never picture myself wearing it (a purple and black leopard print) so I was a little relieved that it was too tight and I could proclaim it a muslin and toss it into the recycling bin.

The folds in the cowl come out much drapier in a lighter knit, but I really loved it in this wool jersey, too. When I wear ITY knits at this time of year, static cling is a real problem so a high quality (to me that means a non-itchy fabric) jersey is the better choice.

Once again, I think I sewed the entire thing on the serger, although I did sew the sleeve and bottom hems by hand, using a catch stitch.

This is a Spanx dress for sure. But you know, I don't mind wearing Spanx at all, especially in cooler weather. Now in the summer, no - I will stick with loose linen, thank you very much.

It was a beautiful day and I wish I had photos but my Samsung doesn't take good pictures in low light. We went to a celebration party for Miss Celie and her charming new husband. I really enjoyed seeing the Slapdash Sewist and La Cubanita Cose, because we were all wearing self-sewn creations.

I already said this, but I will say it again - it was a lovely day. Miss Celie found herself a keeper and I couldn't be happier for them!

edited to add this photo from the party:

24 comments:

  1. The dress is lovely! I'm so glad you were able to join the celebration wearing such a wonderful dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely dress Robin - one that you'll wear often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really nice in the heavy wool! Just looking at the lovely criss-cross, it seems like it would be kind of complicated to put together, so I guess this is one of those awesome lots-of-bang-for-your-sewing-effort patterns. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so nice in the wool jersey! The style really suits you and I'm sure that it will be super wearable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely dress! The draping detail is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would never guess that it was quick, it looks a little complicated. It is really lovely. I like the simplicity. And it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love It! U Look Fantastic. Might Try Get My Hands On This Pattern Due To This. Plus, I Love Wool KniT :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely dress, Robin. It looks great on you. I sure doesn't look quick and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your dress! I didn't love the line drawing, but it really looks great on you. Beautiful and great fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This dress looks fabulous on you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely dress. Certainly looks like it will keep you warm

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a wonderfully cosy dress. And the detail at the front certainly doesn't look simple to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks very classy in the grey jersey. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a lovely dress and looks so cool on you! I'm a lover of grey so I really like this fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great dress and looks like a wonderful party.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is one fancy dress! I love the possibility of dressing up and down. And I think the wool jersey is a great choice and you'll really enjoy this during the cold months!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful! Your figure must be very to wear this beautiful mermaid prom dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am wonder to read your every single blog post. It was really very informative. thanks for sharing & I will visit your blog again. white noise app

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think your new dress is absolutely perfect for you. Love the subtle draping.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a great dress - sure to become a staple! It must have been so fun to be at Renee's party with fellow sewists. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely dress! Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.