Thursday, February 13, 2014

woot woot woot

I sewed something!
This is my new exercise T shirt.
For a few months, I have been going through a big fat transition and today I finally sat down and sewed a garment. That sorely missed sweet sense of satisfaction came over me as I slipped on my new Riva Raglan Tee for the first time. Thank you Mother Nature for a SNOW DAY!

Sewing for the first time in months wasn't the only bright spot of my day. I went for a nice long walk for the first time since before Christmas when I fell and sprained my knee. My knee is finally feeling right again.

Getting organized in our new place has been so much slower than I would like. The main reason is because we really downsized and it has been tricky to find room for my sewing stuff.

I love to sew. And I know you do, too. But when we shopped for a new home, I didn't make a sewing room a very high priority. It was way more important to find the right location, with the right amenities and whatever we got, I knew I'd make it work. As it turns out, my sewing is now split into two spaces.

In the master bedroom, there is a sitting area, and I have a wall of storage:
It's almost organized, almost. This is the IKEA Besta system and I am waiting for drawers to come in. I will add several drawers and doors. When it is finished, storage will be completely concealed.
I also have a small closet for fabric and a nice roomy desk for my sewing machine and serger. But no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't make room for a cutting table. I cannot live without a cutting table, so it will go in the den. That will work fine.

Still to do:

  1. Buy and hang at least one full length mirror. I can't sew anything tricky until I can see myself in a mirror!
  2. Hang the super-bright full spectrum fluorescent lights I brought from the old place. They aren't pretty but I don't care - I need bright light. Call an electrician.
  3. Buy a smaller cutting mat. My old one is too big and does not fit.
  4. Install drawers and doors on the Wall of Storage.
I think that's it. 

Now that I can walk normally, everything is going to feel easier.
I think I will find an electrician and call tomorrow. 
Yep. I am tired of being in limbo!

25 comments:

  1. Yeah for organization and getting the opportunity to sew something! Can't wait until you are rockin' and rollin' again. I've missed seeing your creations and hearing your voice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Carolyn! I've thought about how you had to re-do your sewing room after it flooded. It is a lot of work!

      Delete
  2. Good to hear from you. My sewing space is also split with cutting in the dining room and the rest in a very small upstairs alcove. In some ways it is better because I tend to start and finish my cutting in on session. If it wasn't in the dining room I would tend to stretch it out and have a mess longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really doesn't take a lot of space to sew, does it? Just persistence :)

      Delete
  3. Cute top. And your storage seems just right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi welcome back to the world of sewing and blogging. Yours was one of the first blogs I started to read regularly and I have missed learning about your creations. Good to see you back and looking so happy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin, I am happy that you have gotten back to sewing! I've just caught up on your move - and everything else as well. It's hard downsizing but at least you've found a way to make your sewing studio work, even if it is split. Passion is compelling. Your workout T looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are feeling better and back to what you love. Moving is so hard, and the older I get, the harder it is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy to see you back :) What a great space for creating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear ! A fall! Poor you! I just fell on ice flat on my back and hurt my tail bone but no damage thank goodness.
    And instead of downsizing at our age (60's), my hubby is building me a new sewing room in our basement. There's probably something wrong with our thinking but he insisted and how could I say no! (Lol) Hope you get plenty of time and chances to sew now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes Diana! It will tke time to heal. I don't think your thinking is wrong at all! I should have called it "Right-Sizing" because that's all that matters!

      Delete
  9. Glad you are back to sewing and blogging. Missed your creativity. I have upsized and downsized sewing rooms several times and I find, if it is organized, I can sew anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ann, isn't that the truth. Once I know where my seam ripper is, and the other necessities, I will pick up speed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear about your knee sprain and know it set you back getting organized after the move but it looks like you're on the right track. Through the years I've sewn in small spaces including a closet but the passion finds a way. Welcome back to blogging. We've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, you are making my day :) SO GLAD TO BE BACK.

      Delete
  12. Glad you're back - missed your sewing adventures! I had a snow day yesterday too, so I was at my sewing machine watching the nor-easter out the window of my cozy sewing room! Made a beautiful ponte knit zip jacket. Gotta love a snow day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to hear you again! Can a big cutting mat be cut down so you don't lose any more inches than absolutely necessary? Although I suppose you would lose the numbers from 2 edges... Anyway, best of luck settling back into it! -Kimbersew

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. LOL, yes you do! I decided it is too cute to leave in its carrying case.

      Delete
  15. Oh MAN! I knew it was something. Sorry there have been so many challenges for you. Hope it is smooth sewing from here on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great transition! Happy to see that you're back to sewing and getting settled in your new space.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.