Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Endorphins a-plenty: a nice easy knit top

Since my last post, there were a few more nail-biting situations, but that's why everyone tells you it is stressful to sell and buy and move your home. Everything seems to have smoothed out and we are in our final days of living in this home where so many memories were made. I've had moments of real sadness at leaving it behind, but now we are ready and happy to be moving on to the next installment of Fun Times with Howie and Robin. You know, that is the essence of the sadness - it is the fact that this stage of life is over. We don't need to be in a particular school district, or have enough bedrooms for kids or a basement for them to paint lime green. What a ride it has been!

Speaking of fun times, I found myself crawling around on the floor, pinning my pattern to my fabric and cutting it with shears. Considering I usually have a cutting table, pattern weights and rotary cutters, that was a throwback to my early sewing days. I sewed this Style Arc knit top:


It would have been so great to sew this top from a stripe knit fabric, but they didn't have any for sale at my local fabric store so I went box diving in our storage unit. I was pretty happy to find this animal print (would you call that leopard or cheetah?) because it has silvery metallic shine and it's a very soft sweater-ish knit. I got it a while back during one of Fabric Mart's amazing sales. It is hard to beat Fabric Mart on great deals, isn't it? And for some reason I seem to sew up my Fabric Mart purchases faster than any other store, except for maybe Elliott Berman up in Manhattan.

Here are the pattern details:



Yes, the animal print completely obscures the interesting lines, but this pattern had just arrived in the mail and all of my other patterns are packed away.

A few interesting tidbits:
  • the neckline came out a little higher than I expected (bonus - I like it higher)
  • the front is constructed first, and then the back is constructed and then you sew them together at the shoulder seams.
  • That means the binding for the neckline isn't continuous, which is always my preference.
  • It worked out fine because I just sewed the shoulder seams together, pressed them open and sewed a couple stitches by hand to keep the edges out of sight.
  • The seams are only a quarter inch, so it's a good thing this fabric doesn't ravel!
  • I sewed everything with a zig-zag: hems, top-stitching, seams, everything except the shoulder seams because I wanted to press them open. My serger is packed away! And the busy fabric hides the zig-zag.
  • I could stand to do a cheater FBA on this (add to the side seams at the bustline) so I'll do that next time. There WILL be a next time, I LOVE this pattern!
  • I was able to make my pattern adjustments by referencing my past blog posts about Style Arc patterns. I love how consistent the drafting is. 
Have you ever noticed what a sense of accomplishment you get from sewing? That is something I have been really missing lately and sewing this top last weekend gave me genuine endorphins.

Anyone else planning to sew the Tootsie? I am going to be on the lookout for cute striped knits.
cheers!



27 comments:

  1. Lovely top!
    What a busy time of year to have all of this happening in your life, but as the new year rolls around, you will also start your new chapter. How perfect and even better that you and your husband are doing it together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I agree Rhonda, I am feeling very grateful and holding my loved ones close.

      Delete
  2. I too remember cutting patterns out on the floor, for a long time I thought that was normal. If I tried it now, I could get myself off the floor!!!

    Love your top. Have not paid attention to this pattern. I am on a pattern diet until March 2014; I have been very tempted. I am definitely making a list though!! I like your fabric for this even though you don't see the cross lines on the front, it looks well fitting to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a pattern diet? That just doesn't sound right Linda!
      Make that list :)

      Delete
  3. A very cute top, Robin! And many congrats on the changes in your life. I hope that wistfulness is soon replaced by excitement and that your mojo lights up like the proverbial Christmas lights. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel! thanks shamzzz

      Delete
  4. The top is a beauty! Glad you gt some time to sew. Hopefully you'll be settled into your new place soon where you will make lads of new memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its great to hear from you, Robin. Moving can be so so stressful. I am glad you were able to "get down" with your scissors and cloth and make up this little beauty of a top. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee hee you just filled my head with Kool & the Gang :)

      Delete
  6. Nice to hear your cheery voice. Hope the new home feels home-y quickly. And oooof the floor--I never could manage it! Apparently your sewing mojo is stronger than lack of equipment--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! and that's why there won't be any more garment sewing til after we move!

      Delete
  7. Oh my - I hear your pain! We moved house in March of this year (we downsized, but I ended up with a larger sewing room, so it worked out rather well!!) and I am STILL finding/can't find fabric/patterns/books etc!

    Your top if very cute - you have got to love the gratification of a 'quick sew'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I wish I were getting a larger sewing room! But that's OK, I'll make it work.
      Good luck on getting settled in!

      Delete
  8. Love the top. I've admired the pattern and wondered how the front comes together. It is a pattern puzzle.

    Definitely leopard. My daughter and our Tanzania wildlife guide spent considerable time teaching me how to tell the difference on safari.

    I'm glad you found the time to sew with minimal equipment. That shows some real mojo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tanzania?! You get around! Now I can call it leopard with confidence :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute top, Robin! Good luck with your move. I can't imagine moving during the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! In a way, this is a really good excuse for simplifying the holidays, so its all good.

      Delete
  11. The best thing about cutting out on the floor is that it gives those glutes a good workout! Very cute top. I like the fabric. Good luck with the move. Happy Thanksgiving too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your top and feel for you having to cut on the floor without a rotary cutter!! And no serger!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's why I won't be sewing any more until I have those things back!

      Delete
  13. Robin, You look great in your lovely tootsie top.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great looking top, and have fun as changes emerge in this new chapter of your life. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good to see you back in Blogland. I like your top a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done, I love it, its simplicity made it stands out, well regarding with the sense of accomplishment that you can get from Sewing, for me it makes me feel something that is beyond overwhelm, greatness and an immeasurable happiness that push me to keep going and to make another one, I know you feel it too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo