Friday, November 1, 2013

BAM!

The last time I posted, I was tired of packing. Since then I learned how to get tired of picking out new light fixtures and faucets (which is why I lived with '80s gold towel bars for 9 years). While DH replaced those fixtures, I got busy painting. We painted a 900 sq.ft. basement from lime green back to white. Why, yes, it did take 3 coats of paint! I painted 3 bathrooms, a bedroom ceiling and ... then I got so tired of painting, I used Soft Scrub to wash the last few walls.

By the day the house went on the market, it was fluffed and de-personalized to the point it felt like a hotel. We happily settled into the next stage where you can't mess up anything because strangers come into your home constantly. We preferred that stage. We went to movies and ate simply and avoided activities that would require cleaning. That part was OK!

One day we went to the storage unit and retrieved a table and chair. This settled my nerves like magic.
The hard part now was the waiting. Our neighborhood is experiencing an odd little perfect storm that means most houses are selling very quickly; the inventory is low and buyers are frustrated to find themselves in bidding wars when overall, this is not the case in most of the country.

But that didn't happen for us. The house went on the market, and a couple dozen potential buyers came to the first open house and nobody bit! We had researched the comps and prepped the house and priced the house for a fast sale and ... crickets chirped.

The first offer was not good, in terms of how likely it would go through. The second offer was very low. We went into that negotiation game where we just went back and forth and made tiny progress. Almost two weeks into the process, I was thinking, "well this commute isn't that bad". I was ready to set a time limit - like 6 weeks - and then take the house off the market. I told our agent to hold off as long as possible before counter-offering again to the buyers, in the hope that more offers would come in. But - there was no indication that any offers were in the pipeline. BAM! Six hours later, an offer came in and they quickly agreed to our asking price! Wow. This is why they call it a roller coaster; we went from dejected to elated within hours. But that is just the beginning of this tale.

Because this offer was ALL CASH, it meant we could settle as quickly as we wanted, and that meant, QUICK FIND A PLACE TO MOVE!! We made an offer on a new home and I looked into apartments and I fast-tracked the paperwork for mortgage application.

During the time it took me to drive home after work, TWO MORE POTENTIAL BUYERS APPEARED OUT OF THIN AIR. Yes, I am using a lot of capital letters because THAT IS WHAT HAPPENED TO MY SENSITIVE SELF; I GOT ALL WORKED UP.

We then waited for these new offers to come in and ... the roller coaster ride went from relief at a full price contract, to .... dangling.

It is very hard to go to sleep when you are left dangling. I did it, though and when I woke up the next morning, I couldn't open my email fast enough. We had gotten the offer of my dreams; we got exactly what we paid in 2004. We survived the real estate crash intact. Wow. No we are not going to think about all the money we put into repairs, and upgrades. One works with the perspective that yields greatest satisfaction. We sold our house.

Funny little tidbit: all of my fabric is packed at the back of the storage unit, so I did the unthinkable and I ordered pre-cut fabric online (from Pink Chalk Studio - I love that shop!). I think that's what sold the house if I am going to be superstitious about it.

And of course, that fabric purchase will probably get moved to the new place before I can really sew it, right? LOL, THAT.IS.OK. I sold my house.

So! If you are local and you like any of my furniture, I am Craigslisting a lot of it. You can see it in the realtor's photos here.  The prices I listed are on the high side, and I am accepting lowball offers on the furniture. That's what downsizing does to a gal!

Maybe I will post again here about sewing soon? I sure hope so!!

39 comments:

  1. Oh Robin, I am so very happy for you. Such wonderful news. Now on to something new and exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on getting the house sold! To me that always seems like the most arduous part of the process. I'm sure the furniture will fly and before you know it you will be setting up a new sewing room in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. carolyn, I agree! Selling was the hardest part.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on selling your house. Next part is moving and setting up your new house and sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy it worked out so well for you! Hope you're back to sewing soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The previous comment was from me, Victoria R. I can't seem to get it to list me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am messing up your comments! I guess I deleted my first comment.
    What I said was I'm so happy for you that you have sold. I think selling a house is one of the most stressful things to have to do. Finding a new, suitable place is sometimes almost as hard! Good luck with that phase of your move.
    VictoriaR

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rollercoaster, indeed. The MAIN thing: the house sold ..woohoo!. Everything else can be dealt with. Hope the next stage isn't so stressful. You'll be so happy to find and secure your next home and begin your plans for that. Best of luck. BTW, the CL link is not active .. is it all sold already ? ;)

    ~Joy~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try here http://tour.truplace.com/property/535/26425/

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! It must be quite a relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy, indeed the relief is a great feeling.

      Delete
  11. congrats on selling the house!!! so stressful.....my condo is still on the market-have an offer, but it's not a very good one. I moved from the DC area this summer to the shenandoah valley - bought a great house, but ready to not have 2 mortgages......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, so sorry your darn condo is still on the market, but Shenendoah Valley must be incredible this time of year!

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on the sale of your house! What a huge relief.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the sale, Robin. What a nail biter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations. So glad the real estate bust did not affect you. My sis in coastal Maine just sold hers at 5000.00 above asking in a bid situation, all within a few days. In her neighborhood houses have held their value and are selling fast. Location, location, location.

    Good luck in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad that worked out. All the best getting settled into your new space.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome! What a relief. We MAY have an offer coming in, a heads up from our realtor. But nothing in writing. It's so hard to type with crossed fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations! There are few things that feel better than getting a good price for your house! Now on to the challenge of finding new space and making it yours. Another adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats! I bought this house in Oct 2012 and didn't sell old house until summer 2013. Paying two of everything is stressful, so glad you don't have to go through that. Good luck with the packing and moving, but the relief of moving forward makes it easier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yikes I didn't know you had that long of an overlap - so glad it is behind you now.

      Delete
  19. It will be great to see you back at the wheel. I miss seeing work by a sewer of similar age and aesthetic.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a difference an afternoon makes. We have 2 offers coming in tomorrow! You should buy more fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, fabulous! Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well done on the house sale & so quick too.
    Here in the UK (outside London that is) property is still not really moving. Our neighbours had their house on the market for a year before they gave up.
    Your sold house looks very nice but if it wasn't in a convenient location for you then it wasn't going to suit.
    Good luck with finding a new place.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay your house sold!!! Great news!

    Our house-selling experience went totally the other way. We only lasted 30 days. We had 28 showings and for each one we had to do the quick spruce-up, hide the cat litter box, crate the cat, load up the dogs, swiff the fur and go park somewhere while the people looked at the house for 5 minutes and left. I got the process down to 20 min. It was so stressful. We had already had been looking at houses for a couple months and then the month that our house was for sale, and found nothing remotely acceptable. So we took our house off the market, tore down the freestanding garage and now I have a ginormous studio over a garage with a seperate exercise room. It is awesome. What did Dorothy say? There's no place like home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am just catching up on blog reading and am thrilled for you. Congrats!! I know the drama too well and also the excitement and relief and then peace that the craziness is almost over. Hooray.

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow, fantastic. your house sold out fastly. congratz
    jilbab

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo