Sunday, September 29, 2013

just out and about

It's just a regular Sunday for me, how about you? I am out and about with my dressforms. We just randomly decided to take Wolfie (yes that is what I call my Wolf dress form) out for some fresh air. 
This is a rented storage unit.

This is a Fabulous Fit Dress Form wearing a size 12 Vogue 1004 pattern.
I sewed this in August - and that is the last serious sewing I have done!

Miss Fabulous  Fit is looking for a new home. Are you interested?
[update: Miss Fabulous Fit found a new home!]

She comes with pads to add curves.


I'm wearing my most favorite t-shirt - the Riva Raglan Tee by Style Arc
I am sure you have figured out by now that I am not just taking my dress forms out for walks. Nope, we are moving and I am packing and we took a whole lot of stuff to a rented storage unit this weekend.

After years of waiting for the real estate market to straighten out, we are moving. You know how it goes, you make a loose plan and adjust along the way. When I married Howie, his youngest was in high school, so we bought a house in that school district. It was 2004 and we figured we'd move closer to my job in 5 years or so. That was a loose plan. I also thought I might look for a job in Rockville and stay here forever. The housing market bubble and economic collapse surprised us just as much as it did everyone else.

By 2009, my job in Baltimore was too good to leave, and our house was worth less than we paid for it. And even if we wanted to sell, it was taking 6 months or more to find a buyer. So, we stuck it out. In 2011, we got a little more serious about selling, but the house needed to be updated. I hated pouring more money into it, but I really liked the results.  In fact, I liked it so much I didn't want to leave.

Then in August 2013, the long commute finally got to me. Driving 80 miles a day is kinda tough. This time, however, things fell into place. The real estate market has rebounded and our agent expects the house to sell quickly. We will not get back what we paid, but that's just life. We will move closer to my job into a smaller home. The more I think about it, the more relieved I am. We found the perfect neighborhood for us, and the homes for sale are exactly what we both want. So- things are good, right? Well, yes ... but there is one thing ... little Archie died. I wish I could write a beautiful post to describe how special she was but I don't have the words. I think it is safe to say she loved being our cat as much as we loved her. So, that's just life, too, isn't it?


Here I am writing a blog post when I actually sat down to list my Fabulous Fit dress form on Craigslist! Anything to avoid packing! Ha!

If you are looking for a dress form, I am asking $50 for this one. It is pinnable and the measurements are 34.75 bust, 26 waist, 35 hip. Shoot me an email if you are local. I don't want to ship it.
UPDATE: the dressform has found a new home - thanks for your inquiries!!

There is more to come, indeed - more to come!





18 comments:

  1. Wow, Robin, a lot of news in one post! So sorry about Archie...that hurts so much, to lose a beloved companion...and good luck on the move! Nice to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots happening for you. Poor Archie, you will miss her. Now get back to packing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about Archie, what a cute little soul.

    Moving to cut your commute is definitely a good idea. I hope it works out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Nancy. I am sure that short commute will feel great.

      Delete
  4. So sorry about little Archie. It's so hard to lose our companions. I am excited for you and your new changes. Having done a similar commute for years so we could live where we wanted I understand. We eventually downsized and guess what? It's a good thing. I am sure it will be for you too, Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you miss Archie. Congrats on the impending move! So much going on at once - I hope things go more smoothly from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sharon, I will be very good at packing by the time I am finished and I will get used to being Archie-less, too. Onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lot of changes. It will be so much better not driving the distance every day. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's a lot of news. I'm glad you can look forward to a shorter commute and I'm very sorry for your loss of Archie. Life moves on. Maybe there is a new cat waiting for you in your new neighborhood. Good luck with the sale and move. I haven't moved for 15 years and would not know where to start.
    VictoriaR

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you the best of luck with this move and sale. You know that Archie might have had a hard time with a move, most kitties do. So there's a little blessing in all the timeline. Life just keeps grinding on, doesn't it? Hope you can enjoy some of it. BTW I am totally jealous that you have a Wofie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with your move - I will be down sizing myself in the next 2 years and to tell you the truth I think I'm looking forward to clearing out all the clutter in my life as well as the house! LOL. Sorry about Archie but I know he was loved and lived the high life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, removing the excess clutter is very freeing! I admit it was difficult to let go of some things!

      Delete
  11. Change, change, change. Love you with your manikins and congratulations on the move. But oh so sorry about Archie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping in here Judith - I will be so glad when this move is behind us and I have time again to read & comment on my favorite blogs. I have continued reading yours, but just didn't have time to comment. Suffice to say you are killing it with your wonderful style and thoughtful writing!!

      Delete
  12. Hello! I'm a new blogger and I've been browsing other sewists blogs for template ideas and follow ones that keep me interested. I saw this post about your dress form and had to comment! I've been ogling new dress forms for the past 5 years. I haven't gotten one because of numerous reasons. The first was the money wasn't there to get a good one, the second was because I essentially had a five year period where I stopped sewing, the third was that I couldn't decide what size to get. I have a B.A.A in Fashion Design and Merchandising so I have the skills needed to grade patterns up and down for garments to sell, which is what I'd like to do eventually. BUT, I also want a manny that I can sew things for myself on and not have to adjust patterns. I'm no where near the industry standard sample size of 10 (pssh) so I almost convinced myself I'd need two! I'd also like one that is able to drape on. My question is, how did you decide what form to go with? What was your budget? What company makes your form? So many questions I know lol. I'd make a post about it for public opinon, but I have a whopping 1 reader at the moment and its my boyfriend so I don't even count him lol. So until then I incessantly nag other sewist bloggers! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.