Saturday, November 24, 2012

Traditional Holiday Activities

I am preparing to host a sewing get-together and sewing a sofa slipcover. Tell the truth, you follow these traditions, too? As my husband cooked a Thanksgiving turkey, I courteously allowed him full reign over the kitchen and I prepared our home for the group of family coming to eat a feast. Yes - I finished my sofa slipcover!

You may recall that I sewed a slipcover, over a year ago, and I did it using a very inadequate amount of fabric. And, with no shame whatsoever, this slipcover was attached using safety pins and stick-on velcro tape. Not until I injured myself on a broken safety pin (back in the summer) did I think more work was required. I conscientiously purchased a coordinating fabric and promptly stashed it. As the holiday approached, it occurred to me that someone could get hurt on my sofa and that didn't seem like a nice way to treat my guests.

The main steps were to add fabric to the back and to stitch down the velcro (the sticky backing wasn't strong enough anymore).
The pieces go back together like so:



Yes, more pillows were added and the place was generally decorated up with glittered pinecones & flowers & lots of delicious food provided by Howie, his daughter  Kelly and my mom. I mashed the potatoes.
Instagram by Kelly - thanks for the nice portrait!

*Next topic: Sewing Get Together

Are you local to Rockville, Maryland? If so, you may be interested in the get together next weekend at my house. We will be bringing fabrics and patterns for a swap. Howie and I will feed you and one of the attendees made noise about making Mimosas. Shoot me an email via the "contact me" page on this blog and I'll give you more details. I would love to meet my sewing neighbors!

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving, and sewed on Black Friday. Why would anyone fight those crowds when you can stay at home and relax? Feel free to argue with me in the comments!



23 comments:

  1. Great sofa cover and I'd LOVE to come to your sewers' get-together. I met you when Shams was visiting the east coast (at Michael's!) and have wanted to visit with you again. I've been so jealous at the get-togethers those San Fran sewers have so this will be perfect!

    Will send my info to you separately but just wanted to encourage other readers to come---sounds like great fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd come in a heartbeat if there weren't thousands of miles between us! Impressive slipcover and very glamorous picture of you! (and Howie:D)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a wonderful thanksgiving. Your home looks like such an inviting place. Speaking of inviting, wish I lived closer so we could meet up. That fabric swap is oh so tempting. Great job on the slipcover and cute pic of you and the Hubby:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I WANT TO COME. I am so glad that Peg can make it! Your sofa looks great and I am always so impressed by projects like that. I would never attempt it. And you look GORGEOUS in your Tday pic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your house looks lovely for he holidays. Nothing like guests and a deadline to get a person motivated to finish a project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the top that you're wearing in the final picture - did you sew it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much here to comment on! Your room and slipcover really look great and all is so ready for guests. Great job on that, Robin!

    Your portrait is a real keeper. You are so photogenic, even just hanging around the kitchen.

    Sewing Get together? In my dreams. Maybe one day, dear Robin........

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elegant slipcover! Looks like you had a very festive holiday. Love the photo of you and Howie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on getting that done. How great that must feel. The slipcover looks fantastic. And I love the portrait. That must be the musical engineer...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I slipcovered a chld's rocker this summer and it was a job! I want to slipcover one of my sofas, but have put it off and put it off. You've inspired me to get going. Love the fabric you used BTW. Just lovely. Beautiful table too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your slipcover turned out fabulous! Love the fabric

    ReplyDelete
  12. How very clever of you! That's one thing I've never attempted...slipcovers! They scare me for some reason. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m gearing towards using this in my own wordpress blog. But I need to study more to get its full use. Care for another useful plugins? I’m waiting.
      estetik

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry for what has happened to you, but there is still time to change your mind on selling the domain.You can see all as a new beginning.
      Kızlık zarı

      Delete
  13. Coats, slipcovers, cooking AND a clean house?????? Miracle woman for sure (even if your hubby did cook the turkey)!
    The sofa looks super and I cannot wait to see you in the coat. Very nice and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS....... I don't leave the house on Black Friday either.

      Delete
    2. oh thank you, but my husband cooked 70%, his daughter and my mom handled the other 28% and I just mashed the potatoes.

      Our other secret is to start early. For example, I cleaned the previous weekedn, I set the table on Wednesday and hubby did most of the cooking on Wednesday.
      But I will take the compliment! thank you.

      Delete
  14. I wish I could come to the swap. It's such a drive from Oregon though.

    Great slipcover! Isn't funny how we'll fix up things for guests but not ourselves? Cobbler's children and all that...

    Glad you had a fab thanksgiving. I avoided the whole Black Friday ordeal. And Saturday as well. The sewing studio door locks, so that works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your table is lovely, after another Thanksgiving of cursing my tablecloth situation I'm inspired to be on the lookout for a terrific plaid fabric to make one. Congratulations on going back to your slipcover project, the results look terrific and probably very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I just found your blog... IMO that slipcover is beautifully tailored! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for advertisement this! I'm aggravating to accession admonition on Accredited Degrees and this has in ability helped me in this process.
      Yüz Germe

      Delete
  17. Your coat is a thing of beauty and your festivities sound like they were wonderful. I bet the sewing get together was marvelous as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looking for some admonition I came above your website and I even activate what I was looking. Able treaba.Inainte I came above hundreds of sites breadth a dozen online autograph were afflicted from the added and so on, but you in ability admission accurateness and admission you for that.
    Gebelik

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.