Monday, November 19, 2012

Double Welt Pockets w/Flap on The Grace Coat

Current project is the Style Arc Grace Trans Seasonal Coat:


For the pockets on the Grace Coat, I used the strip method to create double welts. That is not what the instructions said, but I wasn't quite understanding the instructions, so I went my own way.


Once the welts were on (just a ginormous bound buttonhole, really) it was easy enough to add the pocket flaps. The pocket bags came next. As you can see, I used lining fabric instead of doubling up the flaps. It would have made them too bulky.


Nice, eh? Always good to stop and really admire the work. Have a snack. Celebrate, you deserve it.


After adding the bags, it was time to sew on the button and, ever vigilant for future problems, I opted to reinforce the area where the button would be sewn. If I can avoid crawling back into this coat to make repairs, it's worth a little extra effort now.


 Coat front on a nice autumn day. I think I'll just stand on the picnic table and admire my work. I notice that my pockets seem farther away from the center front than the line drawings, but I think it will be fine.


Pockets! Functional! And what snazzy little welts, too. My, but I am a braggart today. Sorry!


Blurry but relatively accurate representation of my work attire. This was taken last week and I forgot to post! 


I sewed the shirt, and re-fashioned the skirt from an awkward mid-calf length to a shorter & flipper style. Hope you are admiring your work, and happy sewing!

22 comments:

  1. The coat's looking great. Love those pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The alignment of those pockets - and the way you've rotated the zig zag is wonderful. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pockets! I always need a glass of wine when I am done with welts;)
    ~Teri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. too funny - this WAS the most intimidating part of the coat!

      Delete
  4. This looks great! You're doing such an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful welt pockets with flaps! I look forward to seeing your coat finished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Double welt pockets? Drool. You are making me drool. So wonderfu.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really gorgeous. But (oh I hope I am wrong) should the flaps face the centre front? I would have thought they would go towards the sides for ease of getting your hands actually in the pockets? I hate myself for even suggesting this.

    Your construction is beautiful and deserves admiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I followed the pattern and made the flaps face front. They button to keep the pocket closed.
      The pockets don't seem to be as close to the center front on mine as they are on the line drawing.
      Hmm, I will add that image to this post to avoid confusion.
      thanks.

      Delete
    2. Phew! Glad I was mistaken.

      Delete
    3. Wait, the illustration (blue, left) shows the hand going in ABOVE the flap. Is that how it's made? How interesting.

      Delete
    4. I guess you can make it however you want. I spent zero time on the instructions and did it my way, in true Frank Sinatra style! I don't tend to follow instructions too often. My brain doesn't work well that way. It is easier for me to decide what I want, and then just make it happen.

      I can see a good argument to apply the flap to the top of the pocket and make it a decorative, rather than functional element. You could sew it that way!

      Delete
  8. How did you attach the pocket bags to the welts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the inside, i just stitched each side, individually at first, aling the same stitching line as the welt.
      Then I sewed all the way around the edges to finish the pocket.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful pockets, perfect executed! And is that blue grey nail polish? Too cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I thought I was selecting gray, but it had a lovely blueish undertone that I enjoyed.

      Delete
  10. Gosh! Your welts and flaps do look good! Can't wait to see you wearing this coat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks lovely! A most excellent job on the welts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am dazzled by the welts! You certainly earned the right to brag about them, they are a thing of beauty. Your coat is going to be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great job! I love your accuracy with the details!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute skirt. I love the upfashion you've done.
    The welts are wonderful too. I find positioning the welt detailing a bit tricky because I'm short and am a bit scared about how they look on my :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The coat is coming along really nicely.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo