Sunday, October 7, 2012

why I blog, the short version

muslin fail, pattern fail,
 bad boy goes to the garbage pail
Q: So Robin, why do you blog anyway?
A: One reason is to keep track of my sewing. By documenting my work as I go, I build a reference library for myself, which will save time for me in future projects.
Q: And how is that working for you?
A: Um, well, I just wasted spent lots of time preparing a pattern that I thought I had lost.
Q: And?
A: After blogging about this current failure, I realized I had used that lost misplaced pattern within the last year.  I looked harder and found the pattern mixed in with my Style Arc binders.
So much for blogging as a time-saving device.

Here is the found pattern:
I had shortened the coat pattern into a jacket pattern, but kept all the pieces.
I had even drawn little pictures across cut lines, to help me reassemble the pattern in the future. How thoughtful!
is it just me, or does this image look a little ... no I refuse to type the word I am thinking.
So! I am starting over.  I will increase the wearing ease using the same method I used on Kelly's coat, because that worked really well.  And I will sew another muslin (or more if necessary) and I will reign victorious over this pattern! It has nice lines and it's a good cut for me, so it is worth the effort.

I feel certain you will understand that light refreshment is in order, to distract me from recent frustrations. It is Halloween Costume time!  About the only time I sew for my daughter is for Halloween and she plans to be a Cleopatra Goddess Woman this year.  I love the fabric and trim I found.

This is her inspiration photo:
source
A little fantasy sewing is just the ticket. (Doesn't my fabric look ALOT like the inspiration photo? I found it at A Fabric Place in Baltimore)

New lesson: trying to work from a fabric muslin to create a paper pattern is risky business.  Fabric stretches out if shape.  I know it is a time-honored, effective technique in couture sewing, but I had not marked my muslin with grainlines, or any other necessary details.  I think I am just more of a paper-pattern-person anyway.  At least I will have a well-fitted, well drafted pattern by the time I finally cut my fabric.  I bet the sewing will go pretty fast at that point.

Cheerio!

18 comments:

  1. Your daughter is so lucky! She will be stunning in that Cleopatra gown. As for you, I am a fan of light refreshment. The first and only pair of men's dress pants I sewed I didn't have a pattern. O wears them sometimes to make me happy but... Patterns confuse me, but without one, well... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Melanie, I need a little refreshment. and of course, I agree my daughter will be stunning in that gown :)

      Delete
  2. haha, that little drawing caption made me laugh! :D And I have made the same assumption about my blogging, only to find I never actually refer back to my own blog as a reference tool. Doh! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Costume sewing sounds just the thing.
    I have great sympathy for your coat pattern challenges. This will be a terrific item of clothing in the end, but it is putting up a good fight already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well said - it is putting up a fight!
      But I aim to fight harder, and win.
      hehe

      Delete
  4. Robin, I do work from muslin pattern pieces I've used previously, but I starch them till they are very stiff one I am happy with the fit. I make sure the grain is trued as I press and this keeps them useable, but if it's something I think I will use a lot, I will transfer it to paper. I don't doodle on mine like you do. But I might start!

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I seem to lose the fights at home I try hard not to let fabric win as well - I figure I have to reign supreme somewhere . Good luck - your coat will be fantastic once it is finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly! It is a monarchy in the sewing room.

      Delete
  6. Woah, that totally ruins my day - when I mess up fabric, a pattern, my weekends. I have to go jogging to sweat it out :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey I know what you mean! I need cardio to sweat things out, too :)

      Delete
  7. Regarding the little image...yes, it does. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The word "phallic" came to mind! This costume should be lovely and I know you will get it all worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blogging, time saving? I never knew I could spend so much time blogging, but it sure is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could you follow my sewing blog? at sewuniquelyyours.blogspot.com!!! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello hello! I added alittlesewing.com to my blogroll!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo