Friday, October 5, 2012

a room with a view



This is the view in my sewing room and I like what I see.  The fabric & interfacing have been spot-pressed, pattern alterations are complete and I can start cutting this weekend.

After much comparison and review of patterns on hand, I decided to use this one out of Bernina My Label pattern-making software:



I sewed this muslin mock-up back in July 2008, and used the bodice for the blue sparkly jacket and the cosy autumn jacket. Part of my work was to add more wearing ease suitable for a coat.

Just today, I spied a very similar coat in the LLBean catalog.  I'll be adding the same pockets and wrist bands.

Can you see the little bit of sparkle woven into the herringbone?  IT IS SO PRETTY! So, I really cannot mess this up.  I may stitch up one more mock-up of the pattern - just to be sure.

We shall see... So, what is new with me, you ask? I will have a normal weekend with the husband for the first time in a month (yippee).  He had to work every weekend in September, and took some Tuesdays and Wednesdays off to catch his breath.  You would think I sewed a lot during those weekends, but nope, I had a cold for a while and then caught up on  housework when I felt better. Now I wonder what is new with you? Anything fun planned for the weekend? Are you sewing a coat? I am seeing a lot of coats out there in blogland.

Hope to have more to share soon!

PS Learn more about spot-pressing fusible interfacing in Pam Erny's tutorial on her blog Off the Cuff Style. So much of my knowledge comes from Pam's blog - I am so grateful to the sewing virtuosos like Pam who share generously with us in the online sewing community.


13 comments:

  1. A normal weekend is a good thing. Seems we don't get them too often. I'm off to opening night of the opera tomorrow night. It's always lovely. Your coat reminds me of when the surgeon reconstructed my face after I had the tumor in my jaw. She did a mock up of my head and did the surgery 4 times before she ever cut into me. Everything turned out so well and your coat will too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an astonishing concept - and rightfully so. A surgeon should make sure it's going to work out exactly as intended. I didn't know you had gone through that, and make me appreciate your creativity that much more.
      thanks for commenting Rhonda!

      Delete
  2. I hope that the progress on your coat goes well. Such pretty fabric!
    Looking at your inspiration board got me thinking that mine needs a major revamp. I tend to just keep plastering things up there without taking off the previous layers. Does this mean that all that's there is still inspiration? or just more garbage cluttering up space?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cleaned up my inspiration board just today and it made me feel so much better!

      Delete
  3. I love a 'normal' weekend. Good to hear your schedules are cooperating!

    In answer to your question, no, I'm not sewing a coat. I've gone into frilly swimsuit mode! Summer is coming early here in Queensland and my little girl has grown like a weed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that you mention it, I do see the sparkles. I like the fabric before but with the sparkles it's even better. I think your coat will be stunning when it's done. I look forward to seeing the process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That gorgeous fabric is indeed a great view! Thanks for the tip on spot fusing, what a good idea.
    Almost normal weekend for me too, and how lovely that is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An inspiration board - that's a brilliant idea - it's always right in front of your eyes. Mostly my weekends are spent 'waiting' in the car to pick up teenage son and as I wait I write lists on the backs of envelopes for inspiration. Today I made a list of 16 garments I want to make - 16! Firstly I need to get out of car and pin those envelopes to the notice board.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the reminder of Pam's spot fusing method. I have a coat coming up and I will certainly use her method.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how neat and tidy your sewing space is! It looks like a great place to be inspired! This coat is going to be amazing-- I love the fabric, and I love that you're adding the pocket and wrist details. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your idea board especially your color wheel! Thats a great idea to have on an idea board - gonna have to get one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do it! It does influence me over time, in a very good way.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo