Monday, September 3, 2012

The September Issue

I'm enjoying the September issues of Vogue, Marie Claire, NYT Style Magazine and InStyle, but the most exciting September issue for me was the Style Arc newsletter. I ordered the Nina cardigan because I liked the Abby so much and this one is even better.  The waist shaping will make it easier to belt and it is so comfortable to wear a cardigan sewn from sumptuous rayon or viscose jersey.
Skinny belt shopping is on my To-Do List. It really makes the look.
I'll wear these with boots. That extra bit of detail elevates them from leggings.
I love this silhouette, and look, there is the Robin Top, my namesake!
Once I had placed my order for the patterns above, I sewed up a Robin Top and so far, it looks like a winner. Here it is before adding facings and needing an hem. The fabric is a stretch crepe from EmmaOneSock.  
First try-on and I love it! Needs to be finished.
This high-tech weave might be my favorite fabric for basics, because it doesn't wrinkle, has a heavy hand and a nice drape and the black is nice and rich.  So far, it seems to wear well and I like my sewn clothes to last.  I have been working with this kind of capsule in mind:

Lately, I have forced my daughter to accompany me on quests for amazing accessories.
She is an excellent shopping companion - very supportive of spending money.
Next, it makes sense to me to sew a capsule of basics in my colors.  I adore these looks and could see mixing and matching them with my black and white pieces to be sartorially satisfied.
 source: us.pure.collection.com

This is now mine. It is my first excited-to-buy-it handbag in YEARS.
For those of us who lean towards a minimalist aesthetic, handbags have been horrible for a decade now.
 But this - in this shade of green - oh it makes me happy!
It is Kate Spade Cobble Hill Little Minka.
More looking, more shopping, more dreaming ....
Another item on my wish list - I sent off for a swatch of this coating at EmmaOneSock.
If it lives up to my fantasies, I will sew a winter coat.
 Perhaps a Stella?
This was the freebie pattern I got when I joined the Style Arc Members Club.
It looks like a pretty easy sew, for a coat.

My goodness, I have a lot of plans, don't I?  That's what happens on a holiday weekend - a person starts to feel like there is plenty of time to sew a whole wardrobe!  I did finish Kelly's dress, and I will post pics when she is available to model it.

Back to magazines, I have seen the October/November issue of Vogue Patterns magazine and it was  exciting to see Ann Rowley's work featured (V8804 - Claire Shaeffer Couture Collection cardigan jacket)  because I also got to edit Claire Shaeffer's article on trims. I enjoyed editing all of the articles.  I have a whole new appreciation for magazines, writers and editors.

Anyway, I wish I'd been able to look at all the articles one last time, to remove a few unnecessary exclamation points, but overall, I liked seeing my work.  While I was at the magazine, my main role was editing articles and other organizational tasks.  The fashion point of view comes from the team exactly as described in the letter from the Publisher.  It's her baby.

Now that I have been back in Maryland longer than I was in New York, it all feels OK.  I won't fib and say it was easy to walk out like I did. It was hard. I had invested 100% of myself - emotionally, mentally, creatively, and no small amount of dollars & time to make it work. In retrospect, I can see that it may have ultimately been very hard for me to be a brand ambassador for a magazine that isn't really my aesthetic. I liked the classic aesthetic under the previous editor and just assumed that's what would continue, but now I realize there is always more than meets the eye.  Situations can be complicated.

I certainly do wish everyone well there.  I am sure the magazine and the company will go on to flourish, even without my contribution!!  (oops, unnecessary exclamation points)
Suffice to say, it was worth it. I guarantee the good memories outweigh the bad.

On that note, my friends, I bid you a good evening.
May you surf the web and find more interesting little things to read.

Cheers!





42 comments:

  1. I like your new bag; you got it in the green shade?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, must buy some of that EOS crepe. Loving the new Style Arc Patterns. The purse - I think I need one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I agree with everything you are saying.

      Delete
  3. Robin - what a gracious and well expressed finale to an interesting chapter in your life. I look forward to seeing how you interpret the inspiration you've listed in this post...it should be a fun journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. interesting, indeed! thank you Carolyn and I will continue to follow your creative journey, as well.

      Delete
  4. I loved your comment about your daughter's role as a spending partner. Your plans are very similar to mine, except I'm sewing spring summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh THAT HANDBAG!!!! I'm green with lust and envy. Perfection! I'm going hunting right now to see if I can get it online AND shipped to Australia. You enabler you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh hah haha hah!!! it is gorgeous, isn't it?

      Delete
  6. I agree 100% with Carolyn. What a great summary to an interesting episode in your life! Glad you are enjoying sewing whatever you want (and I see you like the same new Style Arc patterns that I do) and getting your spunkiness back. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year, I should write a newsy letter to all my relatives at Christmas, telling them what we've been up to.
      ha ha

      Delete
  7. I'm happy to read your well written and gracious epilogue to the NY story. Glad you are doing well, and sewing, sewing, sewing. oh, and the handbag? YES, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah thank you Mary. The support shown here has been insrumental in my fast recovery from a difficult chapter in my life.
      I appreciate you and all who have sent encouragement along the way.
      xxoo

      Delete
  8. Can totally relate to your remark about your daughter as a shopping companion and spending. Have gone shopping with my daughter last Saturday and spent quite a bit more than intended. "Mum, you seldom find rtw clothes that fit and you like, just buy the two dresses". How much more convincing do you need ;)
    Think you are a good spending companion too. I've eyed the cardigan as well, restrained but now I see it again, as well as the Robin top, I just might have to spend some money at the other end of the globe.

    Glad you're ok and sewing. The handbag is tdf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When daughters make it through the challenge of teenager-hood, and it is wonderful to welcome them back in a new role of ally and friend. Of course, the bank account strains at times, but I will pace the shopping trips to keep that under control. :)

      Delete
  9. Your plans look great and I love the look of your capsule. I purchased some of the Hybri Crepe from EmmaOneSock - isn't it just divine? One question about the black crepe. Does it pick up fluff and hair? I have lots of trouble with black knits and then some with no problem at all. With 2 cats and all.. How does black in the Hybrid cope?

    The Robin top is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BeJay that's yet another thing I like about this fabric. While it does pick up some pet hair, it is easily removed and stayed pristine throughout the day.

      I am still working through the best way to finish edges- facings? binding? hems? not sure yet, but i am working on it.
      The fabric is a little bulky so I need a technique to minimize that.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the insight into the fabric. I haven't sewn with mine yet - I purchased the teal - which is absolutely beautiful, the chocolate and the navy. I am considering more - would love it in taupe. I will keep my eye on your posts to see what techniques you use.

      Delete
  10. Ha, I have 2 enabling daughters!! And I like exclaimation marks too! Great bag.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful plans for your wardrobe! The bag is fabulous. I really need to treat myself to a bag that is "investment level". Michael Kors always seems to be my muse on that. So great to have you back in the saddle and appreciate your "work" comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks bunny!!
      I suspect this bag will last more than a few seasons, too. When I spend that kind of money, I expect several seasons from it.

      Delete
  12. Those stylearc pants caught my eye too! I will be watching keenly to see how they turn out for you.
    I am sorry that your position at Vogue didn't work out. We were all very excited with you. I love your style and your point of view and I am glad that you will still be blogging, if not editing. Let's hope they turn out a great magazine that challenges and inspires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karin, you never fail to provide a kind and tactful, and supportive point of view.
      thank you for contributing here at my blog! I always appreciate reading your comments.
      Robin

      Delete
  13. Love the Nina Cardigan. I was out shopping with my daughter last weekend and she said Mom remember when we used to go school shopping I loved school shopping (and I'm thinking I dreaded it!-LOL) But I too have two daughters that are always ready willing and able to go shopping!LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I did not like school shopping either.

      Delete
  14. I haven't sewn any style arc patterns but you and Shams have really encouraged me to look at them, now that my fingers are beginning to caress the needles, thread, fabric and patterns again. Lovely and gracious summation of your recent adventure and I am glad to be able to read your blog again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mardel, I think you would enjoy Style Arc. The paper is sturdy, they are well drafted and the cut is more modern - much like RTW.

      Delete
  15. It is wonderful to have a daughter who has graduated to good friend and companion. My daughter tends to be the frugal one though.
    I love your inspiration capsule; just up my alley. This is the fabric Linda describes as high tech matter hybrid? How many pieces are you making out of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is the high tech matte hybrid form S Korea for $19/yd.
      I bought 5 yards and I will sew pants and a dress and, I hope a skirt, too.

      Delete
  16. I like the look of you top. Lover fabric that wears well for a long time! Loving the green bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thans Linda, I am keen to finish it and wear it!

      Delete
  17. Oooh, I get chills of fear even contemplating your sewing projects. My machine would file for a restraining order! I like the jeggings best. I have some jeggings (retail) that are like riding pants with suedine inserts along the inside seam starting just below the knee. I love 'em. I suffer from exclamationitis when I blog. Can't help it!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I so appreciate your gracious approach to life's challenges. Glad to see your sense of humor and sewing mojo on the upswing. Elle

    ReplyDelete
  19. ahaha I liked the Stella coat too but spring's already here and I can't justify the cost given the number of coat patterns I already have in my sewing magazines. I've tried a couple of style arc patterns and I think their fit needs a fair bit of tweaking for me but I do want to try making the blazer/ the heather dress soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I so appreciate your gracious approach to life's challenges. Glad to see your sense of humor and sewing mojo on the upswing. Elle

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that coat, It would be nice in that fabric. I also love that Kate Spade bag! Gorgeous!

    -Reyna
    http://www.glamglory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love peeking into everyone's sewing plans for autumn - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Robin, I am a new reader to your blog but you have great taste and I look forward to following your sewing. The Nina cardigan is fab, Style Arc is unfamiliar to me but looks like they have some great patterns. I also love that green bag!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo