the Robin Top. Because I had just sewn it for myself, I knew the cap sleeve was perfect. It was fast for me to change the neckline, rotate darts and add design ease for the crossover front - only because my head was in that solution and it made sense to me at the time. I may look back at this post one day and wonder what the heck? But if it works, I'll take it.
Before I took this dress apart for alterations, I snapped a few pics of the zipper insertion. This filmy cotton voile is not necessarily easy to work with. Seams can stretch out of shape easily. So I mistake-proofed the alignment of the empire seam by sewing just that portion first.
|The zipper is sewn in just a few inches above and below the empire seam.|
|the print hides the seams, but I still wanted it to be perfect|
|in this photo, one side of the zipper has been sewn, and I am using pins to place the intersecting seams together before sewing the other side of the zipper.|
I predict this dress will work out just fine in the end but whether I have achieved a tried and true /TNT pattern remains to be seen. It takes discipline to go back and update the paper pattern with the final fitting tweaks and sometimes, it's almost impossible to figure out how I made it work. I think part of that mystery is the fabric. Each fabric behaves a little differently and won't fit exactly the same.
So, in further Kelly news, I gave her this silk chiffon top:
|(dear Kelly, use delicate cycle to wash and hang to dry)|
Thanks to my own blog, I had a fitting epiphany a while back (this is such a great way to keep notes on my projects) and finally realized that I have a narrow chest. Kelly does not. That's why this top is comfortable for her to wear.
|her width across the chest is just right for this top.|
|The difference is subtle to the eye, but I am narrower.|