Monday, August 13, 2012

UFO Numero Uno


Behind this simple project is the story of a grand wadder.  For the dress, I used my TNT knit dress pattern and a rayon jersey knit from Elliott Berman.

To discuss the wadder, let's recap, shall we?  In May I started on a red linen jacket.  In June I moved to Manhattan, bringing along sewing supplies as well as V1293, and slowly I progressed.  
[memo to self: use a different interfacing next time.  The pro-elegance I used made it feel a little thick
and sponge-like if that makes any sense.    I have a very light woven that should work better]
V1293 calls for a hem facing.  I should have fused interfacing to that, too, by the way.  What happened instead, is that I lost the back hem facing piece.  No amount of searching yielded that darn piece so I found a scrap of fabric, cut a strip of bias tape and hemmed the back of the jacket that way.

This was not good.  The linen had stretched in the back, after hanging for weeks on the dress form, and it needed to be brought back under control.  Application of a strip of bias tape does not accomplish this task.  If I had steamed and pressed the back of the jacket back into the correct shape, and then applied the interfaced hem facing, I think I could have saved that jacket.  But no- I soldiered on with the stretched out jacket. 

When it was time to attach the sleeves,  I found the hem facing.  Here comes the disaster part - the under sleeve had now gone missing.  And I knew exactly where it had gone, too.  The under sleeve was the scrap I used to cut a bias strip.  Now I was stuck with absolutely no more fabric. I did not want to skip sleeves and wear it as a vest.

Ever hopeful, I called Michael at A Fabric Place in Baltimore and asked if they had any more of that red fabric and the answer was nope, it was all sold out.  Finally, with some ceremony, I declared it a wadder, tossed it out and cut out an easy knit dress.

Next up are a couple of finished items that were started quite a long time ago.  The really good thing about an unfinished object (a UFO) is that you are half-way there!  You can finish something in a short time and feel a sense of accomplishment. Finishing things is good for my head right now.
More to come!

25 comments:

  1. Oh dear! Well the UFO is looking great. Very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the red linen jacket! It also has been a teaching moment for me: when I start a more complex project, stay with it, without distraction, to the end. I wouldn't have anticipated the hem expansion.

    Here's to successfully finished UFOs!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the jacket :( but the dress looks great very flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer! However, I hope you will find another piece of red linen and remake it. It looked really flattering and would be a great staple. The dress is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love love the dress pattern! it's exactly what I've been looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely smile on your face. So nice to see. Love the dress on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dress looks *great* on you!!! Sorry about your loss (of the jacket). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Breaks my heart to see red linen wadded but it happens! Love your knit dress. It looks really great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear, I'm sure everyone who sews has a similar story at one time or another! Dress looks excellent on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The knit dress is very cute! Too bad about the jacket, but better to wad and toss than to waste any more time on something that refuses to come out right ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so brave to call a wadder what it is. I tend to shove things into the back of the closet where I can deny them. Perhaps I will be more brave too. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear about the jacket. The fabric looked lovely, too. I MEAN, IT'S AWFUL AND I'M GLAD YOU DIDN'T USE A NICE FABRIC FOR IT. ahem...

    Your dress is fantastic though! I love how you switched the stripe direction for the upper back. Very cool and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My goodness. Too bad about the linen jacket, but you were able to quickly recover from the wadder with this lovely knit dress.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a cute as heck dress. As far as the wadder--out of sight, out of mind. Never happened.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shame about your jacket, but your dress is a definite winner. I have the jacket on my soon to sew list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely dress - it looks easy to wear. Or this that just your styling? Shame about the jacket - you would consider a re-make? simple sleeveless top or something. I can't bear to part with that much useful fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ack! I hate when that happens - the missing pieces I mean! You know I'm a fan of the toss it if it doesn't work method...I don't need any guilt trips hanging around my creative zone. The follow-up knit dress looks great on you! Can't wait for the rest of the fashion show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, toss that bad boy - no need for bad memories hanging around!

      Delete
  18. Oh boy it is so reassuring that such an accomplished sewist as you does these things too . I have actually cut up the legs of 2!!!!! pairs of pants to make the waistbands of the same pants ,only to discover my mistake and the have to piece the legs with interesting diagonal seams at just below the knee .It IS somewhat empowering to make a good out of a disaster however. I know what you mean about needing some instant gratification in a time of stress. I am feeling that too at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh mem, I know how you feel about those pants legs! Just shout it out loud, "DURN IT!!"

      Delete
  19. You are gorgeous at every angle in the knit dress. 'Soldier on' is such a great phrase. I think I will ponder on that today. Beautiful background as well. I know what you mean by sense of accomplishment as I'm finding it difficult to finish a project. Focus is the operative word!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The dress is very cute! I hope it helped clear your palate of the doomed project. Some projects are just doomed!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I didn't realize you were back to blogger or why. Glad I clicked through. I've been there, done that, different version. My contract was cancelled without notice. It was tough. You seem to be doing well. HUGS. Glad to have you back posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Myrna, I know you are expert on the roller coaster of life!

      Delete
    2. LOL - now there's something to excel at - LOL. Except for the lack of a regular paycheque, I am (now) quite thrilled to have sewing as a hobby rather than a profession. WAY more fun although it's a good thing that I find the subject of how life flows and how lives interact to be interesting. I have plenty of experience. Can't wait to see what you sew next.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.