Sunday, August 26, 2012

more white thread!


It is a luxury to live in the same space full-time.  Having an apartment close to work was a necessity for us until the recent changes, including completion of a new highway which allows me to commute comfortably between the DC suburbs and Baltimore city.  It's nice to lower our overall cost of living, too, very nice.

The cutting room window with new curtains.
I could have called this post "stubborn sewing" or "still refusing to change the white thread out of the machine", because the white thread did play a big role in choosing to sew these curtains.  Another factor was how easy it was to sew for these two windows.  But maybe I just wanted to soften up our home and add a woman's touch.  When I was a little kid, that phrase seemed to be commonly used in television shows that projected the idealized perfect family.  For example, Aunt Bea might tell the neighborhood bachelor that his home needed a woman's touch.   Now, I am not saying that our home lacked a woman's touch or anything.  Ok, yes I am saying that.  I couldn't be in two places at once, so certain things were allowed to persist, such as this very ugly window in the basement:
Left: daytime view                                                                            Right: night time appearance


They never said much about the man's touch.  But in my house, the man definitely touches a lot of stuff.  He said he will clean the leaves out of the outdoor part - the well of the window.  My touch, the woman's touch, is to sew a simple shade.  I got the better task, don't you agree?

A panel of fabric makes a nice shade to hide the ugly window.
The lime and turquoise walls appeared when DD Laura came home from Korea and stayed with us for a couple months.   It looked a lot better with her belongings.  Now it's furnished with random left-overs and functions as a guest room.


This fabric made the project super easy because it was so easy to measure, cut and sew.  The grainline and cross grain is easy to see.  While it allows some light, the fabric is pretty opaque.  I have about a zillion yards of it, because I found it dirt cheap at DeBois Textiles in Baltimore.  It was probably pretty expensive fabric before it landed at DeBois.


Next up is a Birthday Dress for DSD, Kelly.  I bought this fabric (at Elliott Berman in NYC) because I thought it looked Anthropologie and Kelly has a bit of that aesthetic.  She likes it, so that worked out well.  I tissue-fitted the pattern to her (nice because this one comes with the different bust sizes - yay)

Today I am grateful for easy projects, lots of white thread and time to relax.
Happy sewing!

22 comments:

  1. Robin, those are some bright walls! Fun colors. I love an easy home dec project! A woman's touch makes everything better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, my daughter never had white walls - always vivid colors :)

      Delete
  2. Nice curtains.

    As for a "woman's touch" versus a "man's," I really don't think it serves anyone's interests today to interject gratuitous sex distinctions that pretty clearly are societally constructed. I know plenty of women who wouldn't mind doing yard work and heaven knows I know more than a few men (and they're not all gay, not that there's anything wrong with being gay) who are comfortable with a sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was using irony. My husband and I have an incredibly non-gender-limited sort of partnership.
      But thanks for reading.

      Delete
  3. Ah, the room of leftover furniture! I have one of those too. It is the one that got flooded out. DH is saying he now wants new furniture. This little rehab is going to get expensive. I love your drapes and had the same idea in mind for the new room,light, airy, and textured white. It was great to see how yours looked hanging. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bunny send me an email and let me know if you'd like a swatch to see if this fabric would work for you. I have tons of it and I can send you some.

      Delete
  4. We have the same room! I like those white drapes, and would love to have similar ones. That would involve home dec sewing...ack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, same thing, send me an email (or you can use the "contact" page).
      I'll send you a swatch, and you can let me know how much you need.

      Delete
  5. Lovey touch to the room. Look forward to the dress, nice fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started the dress and it is soooo nice! I cannot recall the fiber content but I am pretty sure it is a cotton /silk blend. It's a bit slippery to work with, but that same quality will make it very nice to wear.

      Delete
  6. I had to laugh that you still haven't changed the white thread! :) But if you had, then you wouldn't have made these wonderful drapes. They look fantastic, just the right "woman's touch."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to make curtains for our family room. I made them out of some beige fabric ... you know, the 'other' white ... because I needed a little sun blocking in that room. The most boring sewing there is. They were so boring I never blogged, etc. about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I totally understand the boredom with Home Dec sewing.

      Delete
  8. I just love the fact that you haven't re-threaded the machine. Look at all you've done and achieved to avoid changing colours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still using that white thread! That made me smile, as well as your lovely curtains. Look at how much you've gotten done.

    Even a little home dec sewing is beginning to sound enticing; but I know that won't last long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)
      You are right - that's all the Home Dec sewing for 2012.

      Delete
  10. It is amazing what fabric does to brighten the place. On another note I have a question regarding the SA Linda Pants and the Hybrid crepe from EOS. I have purchased some (isn't it divine material??)and want to sew pants with it and am wondering how you hemmed yours - did you do a double needle as with knits or a blind hem as with wovens? Hope you can give me some advice as to the best way to go.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BeaJay, I used a blind hem and it turned out great.

      Delete
  11. How easy it is for you to 'whip up' a shade and immediately improve the appearance of your guest room. One of the beauties of your talent for sewing. I like the lime and turquoise walls with the black and white curtains, and inviting to guests.

    Beautiful fabric for the Birthday Dress and thanks for linking to Elliott Berman!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Curtains look great! You know I am pumped for my birthday present and am thanking you in advance. Tissue fitting was good and I am excited to see it! Maybe the dress would look cool with white thread? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.