Saturday, May 26, 2012

transitions and attachments


Hello friends, I am reflecting on the past, the present and the future.  There is no doubt about it, I am in the middle of some changes.  There are, however, a few rocks in my world, and I am leaning on them!  One of my rocks is this jacket project - Vogue 1293:
Look, I found red linen and it's cut and ready to go.  The bias strips on the left are trim for the jacket and the bias strips on the right will serve as seam finishing for this unlined jacket.
This project has been with me for several weeks now and it's starting to feel like a piece of furniture in the room (in a good way).

The sewing is not hard - it's the pattern preparation that took more time than usual because the fit has to be spot-on.  Once I start sewing there will be almost no opportunities to fine-tune the fit.  There is trim inserted into most of the seams and I have no intention of picking out those seams once they are sewn.

It's a little hard to see, but here is a photo from the pattern envelope.  Think of piping without the cord:

Of course, I could have left it out, but I think it will provide structure for my linen version.
Transitions ... attachments ... yes, these are on my mind.  I was attached to, and fond of my job, but yesterday was my last day there.   That is why my cubicle was suspiciously clean, as Ninja Ryder noticed in my last post.  I will be starting something new, and different and exciting in another week.
For now, I am firmly in the present moment, organizing, sewing, blogging and taking care of logistics before I tackle the next phase.  Soon, I will tell you more, because there is a very good chance that I will put the blog on hiatus for a while.  After all, I want to have every bit of my energy and creativity available to learn new things and do my very best.

Oh- and guess what?  I love that gravity feed iron now!  I just noticed yesterday that it has been a while since it seemed too heavy.  Now it just seems perfect.  So there you go- transitions are good and sometimes patience is just the ticket.

Until then, I have long strips of bias tape to sew, and doesn't that sound like a clever way to spend my time now?  Yes, I think so, too!  I am attached to my beloved sewing and blogging hobbies, so this is where I will rest this week.  Thanks for reading ... and more later!

38 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks like it's going to be GREAT! I love that pattern.

    Congrats on positive changes! How exciting for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with the new job. Meanwhile, enjoy your sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting, good for you. Look forward to more news and this beautiful jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. as the Chinese say, "may you live in interesting times"...and it sounds like that's just where you are. Good luck with the new job and let us know how you're doing!

    Love the jacket....it's RED!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what's better than black and white? black and white with a dash of red!

      Delete
  5. Robin, I have bought this pattern as well and want to make it in white linen. Didn't notice the trim yet ;) as I haven't read the instructions yet. Did you make a muslin already? I'm curious to know how realistic the sizing is on this pattern.

    Good luck with your new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigrid, I sewed 2 muslins to make sure I got it just right (posted here )

      I sewed a size 14, but I did not decide that based on the measurements on the envelope - I measured the pattern pieces. If I went by measurements on the envelope, I would have sewn a 16 and it would have been too big.
      I hope this helps.

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to see you in your new role!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - looks like it is going to be a beautiful jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That jacket does have some great lines to it. Good luck with it. And with the new job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great jacket plans - and a nice reflection on transitions. Wishing you the best in yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the jacket, and the reflections on trasitions (I'm doing some transitioning too..) Good luck, and looking forward to seeing you on the flip side! K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K, yes, you are also writing a new act. Go girl!

      Delete
  11. Good luck in your transition. I hope you thoroughly enjoy whatever time you have off. PS The red linen looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! The linen is sewing up beautifully. Perfect for hot days ahead!

      Delete
  12. Best of luck with your new endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a perfect place to perch in transition! Every home needs a sewing space! A good place to retreat to!
    All the best in the weeks ahead!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agreed - sewing is great for keeping a person grounded in the present moment.

      Delete
  14. I would have nightmares thinking about tackling this pattern, I am so uncoordinated. Each encounter with my sewing machine is like Showdown at OK Corral - we both come out beaten. I have such admiration for your skill.

    I don't know what is ahead for you but it sounds GOOD! I am excited about your new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, your talents lie in other areas, clearly ;-D

      Delete
  15. You sound very energized about your new future. Look forward to hearing about it and good luck too !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I am very energize Janine, thank you!

      Delete
  16. I just bought that pattern for the jacket and will follow your progress closely!

    And congrats on your new opportunity - can't wait to hear what it's all about

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, new opportunities -- sometimes thrilling in a happy way, sometimes as terrifying as being pushed off a cliff! Let me think of a few platitudes for you ... "Change is the only constant thing" ... "Life is an adventure" ... "A woman's work is never done" ... etc., etc. I really like inserting cordless piping into seams. Far easier than mucking about with a zipper foot or piping foot for the real thing, with much the same effect. When I colorblock blouses, to use up large scraps from other projects, sometimes a bias or on-grain strip in a seam is the only chance I get to repeat one of the fabrics (to assure that people understand I MEANT to use that weird purple, for instance. Sometimes a 3" wide scrap as long as my hand is all I have left of one of the fabrics, so faux piping is all I can do.) Have fun with your jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your jacket plans, and I can't wait to see it when you complete it. Vogue patterns fit so well that I made every formal dress with them high school thru college and remain a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad you have a new opportunity. Best wishes with the your new job. I am also looking forward to the new jacket. The pattern is a great one. I recently finished a wool jacket with piping around the edges. That was enough seam trim and you have about twice as much!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Best of luck with the transition -- exciting times!
    The jacket pattern is delightful. Vogue is always so much fun because "it's all in the details"! I look forward to seeing your post of the finished jacket -- in the weeks (months?) ahead when things have settled down a little.
    NinaLBoston

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Robin, I am so very happy for any new opportunities that come your way. You are a very special person in every way and I can't tell you how much you have positively influenced me. Your sound reasoning, excellent sewing skills, drive to master all that comes in your path, and kind spirit. You are just a wonderful model for all of those who enjoy sewing. Much happiness in your newest adventure.

    Karendee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo