Saturday, May 19, 2012

I can't stop SWAP

It's more Sewing With A Plan, and, not only that, it is that same plan I've been sewing for the last four months!

Oh, and wait, hey ho - GUESS WHAT, I placed in the contest!! Yes, indeedy, I took the bronze!
The Grand Prize was won by Sharon, who blogs at Petite and Sewing and First Prize went to Amy at Sew Well.  I really don't feel deserving compared to them because they both sewed jackets and jeans.  I was so bogged down with pattern alterations and fitting that I only made it as far as a lot of simple basics.  I am thrilled to be recognized and THANK YOU ALL who voted.

I decided I wanted a white jacket for summer, and narrowed the choice down to
a collar-less jacket (V8714) and a jacket with a collar (V1293)
 The Plan, With which I am still Sewing, comprises black and/or white garments that mix and match with other garments.  With my coloring, black and/or white are my best neutral colors, so why fight it?

Last weekend, I started with Very Easy Vogue V8714 thinking it would be a fast sew.  First I tissue-fitted on my dress form and doubted whether it was flattering.  Just to be safe, I sewed a muslin which confirmed my suspician.  I cannot explain why, but that style looked matronly on me.

Then I moved on to the Anne Klein jacket and I love it!
Here are some photos of the tissue fitting process:

If you look closely, the marking for the waistline matches to my own waistline without any adjustments.  I am 5'9", so that seems a little interesting to me.  Vogue patterns are designed for a 5'6" person, but hey NO COMPLAINTS.

As usual, I had to take it in A LOT in the seams under the arms,
under the shoulder blades and I chopped away excess shoulder width-
but the neckline was perfect 'as is'.  ok, no complaints there either!!

Once these new seamlines were marked on the pattern pieces,
I sewed a muslin for more fit-tweaking.
My dress form is not exactly the same shape I am - it is more like an
amazing tool that gets my fit into the right ballpark.
I consider that to be a reasonable expectation from a custom dressform.
I recently read a scathing review written by someone who was disappointed in her dressform,
and my honest opinion is that she just expected too much.
OK, now for the muslin-
I really like the little "V" in the hem at center front, but it wasn't on the pattern.
So I added it myself.  Cute!

The collar and the sleeve will be pretty easy to alter.
Maybe I will get to it this weekend, though I do have to work today.
Life in the IT field!! We work all kinds of crazy hours.


And now you can see that the jacket no longer fits the dress form perfectly,
because I have fitted it to flatter my actual body.
But really, I am so pleased that a Vogue Advanced pattern is working out
better than the Very Easy Vogue pattern did.
It's the little things in life, you know?

And now, guess what?! I don't really want to sew this jacket in the gorgeous white Giorgio Armani cotton pique I had originally chosen from my stash.  I don't want to launder it every time I wear it.

And, I can't seem to find anything just right in this embarrassment of riches:
Believe it or not, these shelves were only half full a couple months ago.
I don't know what happened.
Soooooooo ..... I think I will focus on finishing pattern preparation and the search for the right fabric.  It should go with black and white separates.

Let me know if you have any ideas!  (Do you see anything on those shelves?  I know, me neither!)

Happy weekend!!
Happy sewing.

25 comments:

  1. Well done you! Congrats on the bronz award!
    I'm looking forward to watching your jacket progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very interested to see how the jacket works out, looks like you are off to a great start. I bought that pattern also and was thinking of making it in white denim. I just finished the DKNY dress. to me it seems big so watch that.
    Looking forward to seeing your finished projects, love that blue print.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be interested in seeing your muslin of V8714, if you have any pictures, because it's on my to-sew list. Cheers :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, when I loaded pics from my camera, there were no pictures of V8714 and it has since gone out with last week's trash. I think it looked a little baggy on me because I am narrower than average in my ribcage, especially in my back beneath my shoulder blades. If your measurements are fuller there, perhaps that will help?
      It is such a cute style in the line drawings.

      Delete
    2. No worries. I think I will just have to muslin it. I don't think I have either of those problems, but my measurements are generally so far off average that I find it really hard to judge.

      Delete
  4. I love that DKNY dress! I may have to check that out myself... Your jacket looks like its coming along well. I like the idea of it in a lightweight (white?) denim...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a 2nd vote for white denim, and both opinions from people I respect.


      I suppose the only thing to do at this point is to go shopping!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on winning the bronze!

    I think that a shopping trip is an excellent idea, and white denim a great choice. I have a white denim jacket that I am wearing like crazy for these cool nights. Great against air conditioned offices, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on winning the bronze! Like you I have so many fitting issues that it takes forever to get something from tissue to finished. If I remember, the point of this swap was to make tnt patterns which you certainly did.
    Funny you should mention your dress form being a tool not the perfect you. Peggy Sagers latest webcast was on this subject. In her opinion the dress form is for designing and making design decisions. You can get in the ballpark but you still have to fit on yourself. You save a lot of time getting the pattern, particularly the back close and then the fine tuning on yourself is so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations , it's great to know this fit well tall frames. I should try this pattern for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find it amazing how fabric multiplies like that too - the more stash I sew, the larger it seems to get!
    I believe you are correct about dress forms too, they can never be exact because they don't move! The best dress form is yourself. The main thing I use mine for is assessing a collar draft, or hanging half finished garments on overnight!
    Congratulations on the bronze award!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your 3rd place win! You are deserving of the acknowledgement of your wonderful work. And you will find the perfect fabric for your jacket, I'm sure of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, congratulations on 3rd place win! I am really liking your jacket to be,great looking pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made the pants from this pattern and I love them. Been planning to make the jacket, can't wait to see how your's turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll be interested in your progress. I bought this pattern and am eager to make it this season.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on placing in the SWAP! Very well deserved. You'll come up with something super for the jacket. Look forward to seeing what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so happy you stopped by my blog and I'm even happier I found yours! You're a true sewing talent!!! Can't wait to see all of your projects...I have a feeling I'll learn a thing or two from you (I have a terrible time following patterns).

    Take care,
    Jen
    sunnyvanilla.blogspot.com

    Your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your contest placing. You have a beautiful new wardrobe of clothes as a result of participating, that's for sure. The jacket looks like it is coming along nicely. Good luck finding just the right fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing pics of your tissue fitting. I too recently read a blog where there was a major issue with the custom form received. She flew to get custom measured and I agree with her expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FYI,
      I was talking about seeing some very harsh words about Fabulous Fit Forms. As it so happens, I also bought a dress form form that Fabulous Fit many years ago and they gave wonderful service, so I felt a little protective of them and their reputation.

      (thanks for commenting!! I don't want to cast any negativity on anyone, so maybe I will go back to my rule of avoiding it :)

      Delete
  17. Congratulations on your SWAP result. The muslin is looking good, hope you can find the right fabric soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really enjoy seeing the tissue-fitting process. I've never tried it before but I can see with the right dress form that it could be really helpful. Congratulations on the bronze!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on your honor. As I viewed the tissue fitting process, I remembered sewing when I was in high school. A long time ago, but it still sits with me in my memory bank.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! I think you are on to something with SWAPing. I need something to help me sew up my embarrassment of riches. I like that description. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo