Monday, April 2, 2012

the rare tunic

Thank you for all the nice comments lately on my latest tops and my pattern alteration posts.  I am so glad you read them, and it certainly helps me to share my thought process and methods.

I don't sew tunics often, because the length feels awkward to me.  It seemed a good idea to try again; maybe I will like a tunic if I give it another try. Here is my version of the Style Arc Pleated Pia Top:

I raised the neckline to make it peek-proof.
I might make it even longer next time.  After I've worn this
for a while, I'll know whether there are more tunics in my future.

Guess I  could add a center back seam
so I can do a sway back adjustment (to reduce
the folds at waistline).   On the other hand,
maybe good enough is good enough.

As I altered the pattern, I did not take a lot of photos because I had a mild cold & lacked the energy for a full-blown alteration tutorial.  I'll do it on another top soon.  The fabric is a rayon knit jersey.  I bought this piece at Mood Fabrics in NYC.  It tested my patience (I find the slippery flimsiness a challenge) but it is a joy to wear.

*** oh!  The doorbell just rang!  My new gravity feed iron is here!!  I have been using the cheapest iron I could find (only $7.99!)  after my steam generator iron recently died.  ***

Today is my favorite type of vacation day.  I accrue enough vacation days that I can take the occasional off for errands and chores.  It is a luxury to play housewife for the day.

Hope your day has a touch of luxury, too.

12 comments:

  1. Cute top. I know what you mean about tunics. The proportions never seem quite right. I started playing around with my croquis again and made length changes until I felt it looked good on me. I needed them fairly long for it to look good but I am shorter than you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, sketching croquis is a good way to estimate length.

      Delete
  2. Looks great on you. I wouldn't worry about the back. Looks relaxed. I have the pia top. It was one of the first patterns I tried to sew. It went well but I purchased the wrong size and it was way too big - huge arm holes etc. My problem was purchasing Style Arc (one size only) when I was so green I didn't know about FBA etc. Your top looks great and fits so good that I might drag the pattern out again and try some pattern alterations. You have chosen great fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks re: the back.
      good luck on trying the Pia again!

      Delete
  3. Love the top! You've had some great posts lately! I would love to hear a lot more about your new gravity feed iron. My old iron died a few months ago and I bought a Shark which must be the stupidest iron ever. Whoever heard of an iron that turns itself off in the middle of ironing? Really? Anyway, I have thought about investing in a gravity feed iron, so any info you could share would be helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea! I will post about the gravity iron :)

      Delete
  4. I love the tunic! A tunic with a mandarin collar or maybe a bateau (sp?) neckline would like nice as well - in my humble opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is adorable! Hooray for days home from work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd say it's good enough! Very cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice. I agree that the trick to a good tunic is length. Shorter can be mistaken for a baggy top.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.