Sunday, April 8, 2012

overshirts and capris

Inspiration sprouted from the fertile soil of frustration. 
[That sentence made me feel pretty poetic - but insincere, because I was not really all that frustrated.]
{but on a blog, anything goes, right?}
Th outfit on the left is what I want to wear this summer,
no offense to Princess Caroline. (she looks very nice, too).
To finish off my SWAP, I had been considering capri pants sewn from colorful prints in my stash, but all of them were just a little too lightweight or sheer for the task.  I had not been thinking about overshirts.  The image above, found in the newspaper this morning, caught my eye.  Doesn't a sheer overshirt look great over the white column? White capris, white tank tops and fabulous wedge sandals look like a super plan for my summer wardrobe.


Surely I will find a great pattern for an overshirt in this treasure trove of patterns.

With newfound fitting success under my belt (the bodice alterations applied to the Style Arc patterns) I feel a little more confident choosing a pattern from my collection of European pattern magazines.   Besides, I need patterns NOW and cannot be held up by the whole it-takes-time-for-patterns-to-arrive-from-Australia situation.

One of the main things I have learned from SWAP 2012 is the importance of embracing a color palette.  I embrace black and white.  These colors make me feel comfortable.  Brights make me feel good, and prints are good in small doses.  The next time I read "all those black dresses are so boring!" I will remember that for me, black is awesome and I love it.  

That's all for now, folks!

15 comments:

  1. Hear, Hear, Robin...I say the same thing to myself about black. I tried "switching" to blue a couple of years ago, just to be different, but nothing makes my heart race like black and white!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margy, I was looking at EmmaOneSock last night and I saw a few that made me say, "that is so Margy!"
      You have been an inspiration to me to just stick with what works. You look so great in black and white!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you area really on a roll, Robin! That is great that you are discovering your personal style and what works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I am on a roll! Fast and easy sewing is great.

      Delete
  3. There are so many people who just know their style, and colours and they just ALWAYS look fantastic - I guess we should just have courage in our own convictions.

    p/s I think you met up with Sigrid when she visited NYC?? We have met twice now in Holland and are planning a 3rd meet in June - lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you and Sigrid! Yes, I enjoyed meeting her in NYC.

      Delete
  4. Ooo, I saw the overshirt and it reminded me of a few patterns in Burda 2011/6. I remember blogging about it a while ago. There's a few similar tops toward the bottom, including a long button-up.

    http://sewingonpins.blogspot.ca/2011/06/burda-style-62011.html

    Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but it may be a place to start in that pile of patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather you are right - the shirt styled as a beach cover-up is just what I am looking for. I found one in the May 2008 issue (I had stopped my subscription before June 2011, so I don't have that one)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love the silhouette with the longer shirt and capri pants. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sheer overshirt is great with capris. Looking forward to your interpretation. I'm with you - I'm not quitting black.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, anyone who can sew three pairs of pants in one day is a goddess in my eyes! I was just rummaging around your other posts too. So much goodness! I am a new disciple. I often wear black but hope that when I do people see the colour underneath the mere fabric!! Tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Black no I never wear it, but grey and mottled and navy and anything but. I love oversized shirts with straight legs pants - good look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This pattern would also be a cute swim coverup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing. Double-duty.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.