Friday, March 16, 2012

fresh fabric

I had the good fortune to find myself in Manhattan on Monday, with a couple hours to shop for fabric.  I was looking for beefy knits in solid colors.  
And this is what I got:
viscose knit jersey
rayon knit jersey 
the upper piece is woven, lower piece is a coordinating knit
light weight stretch cotton woven 
rayon jersey
cotton voile (also comes in a knit which I didn't see
until I got home and looked at their website)
I didn't have the right energy to mount a serious search for solid colors, so I let myself drift into emotional shopping.  Perhaps the recent shift to Daylight Savings Time left me feeling a little tired and droopy.

Most of these came from Elliott Berman Textiles in the garment district.  It is a small-ish operation on the 7th floor of an office building, set up more like a warehouse than a shop.  For the quality, the prices are reasonable.  More and more, high quality matters to me.  I suppose my sewing skills have finally become dependable enough to trust that I will not ruin the fabric.  {knock on wood}

My stash is now officially built back up to maximum!  I had sewn it down, but of course, that didn't last long.

And the world goes round and round, just as it should.

15 comments:

  1. Just a quick note to let you know that I am enjoying reading your blog so much I have nominated you for a Kreativ Blogger award.
    If you would like to participate, you can read more about it on my blog here
    http://thesewingspace.com/2012/03/17/award-nomination/#more-3014

    Thank you!

    Regards,

    Lena Merrin
    www.thesewingspace.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. oops, I deleted my own reply!!
      Here is a clickable link to Lena's snazzy blog:
      The Sewing Space

      Thank you for the award - unfortunately my sewing & blogging time is too tight to make room for participating in blog awards, but I appreciate the appreciation- and I will add you to my blog roll.
      Thanks!!

      Delete
  2. Ah Elliot Berman's, I never ever leave there without something luscious and you've proved my point by the awesome pieces you've purchased. Sorry about the solid colored knits but you can always get those on the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Head: Buy solid colours in knits and jerseys
    Heart: But look at this, it's beautiful
    Head: It's not blue
    Heart: I know I know but I'll be able to make something wonderful with this
    Head: What are you going to make?
    Heart: Oh I don't know yet but something fab - just look at the colours!
    Head: You win

    Been there and done that. You did good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yeah, you know what I'm talkin about!
      There is this one:
      "if you don't know what you are going to sew, how do you know the amount to buy?"
      Answer, "too much is better than not enough"

      Delete
  4. Love these! I always do exactly the same thing. Finally find some space in my fabric cupboard and then fill it up as fast as I possibly can. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are some very attractive prints. I can just imagine the pretty summer dresses and tops you'll be able to make with them. These may be emotional choices, but they still look like good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am crazy for prints - can never resist. I especially like the woven with the multi-color circles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful fabrics, Robin! I'm hoping Elliot Berman has online orders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely choice. I will be going to Manhattan soon so it's great to hear about nice shops

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.