Sunday, March 18, 2012

fresh cardigan

You know how every sewing project is a bundle of hopes?  ...

I hope this fabric has the right drape 
I hope this style works for me 
I hope I don't make a mistake that ruins it

I hoped this fabric wasn't too loud. I was afraid it would wear me instead of the other way around.
The Abby Cardigan by Style Arc Patterns
Hoping to mitigate that factor, I sewed it as a cardigan rather than a top or a dress.  You can always take a cardigan off, right? Ha!  But I think it really works - or maybe I should say I feel great in this fabric now that it's made up.  The viscose is definitely more luxurious than other knits and that is a bonus, too.  Spending $18/yard is a little nerve-wracking until the garment turns out to be a winner.  Then it suddenly seems the opposite.  It took 2 yards, so this is a $36 cardigan.  But it looks and feels much more expensive than the type of store I might shop in (like Chico's or Coldwater Creek).  I think I am repeating the type of things said by judges on Project Runway, but you know what I mean.

Adding a belt pulls in the volume and makes it just a little shorter which I like.  I cut this at the length provided, but did not sew the rolled edge hem as instructed.  The length felt a little awkward, as though it needed to be either longer or shorter.  Adding a 1.25 inch hem brought it up a bit.


Casually tied in front; the front facing makes for very little bulk
while hiding the wrong side of the fabric.
I really like this feature of this pattern design.

Hanging freely is comfortable, too.  The shawl collar adds
more structure than a collar-less design, and
it helps the cardigan hang better on my frame.
The pattern alterations were a little time-consuming, as usual, but now I have another tried and tried (TNT) pattern to add to my SWAP.  I am seriously considering sewing it again with another of the loud prints I bought last week.  The sewing part is fast, so maybe I can knock that out soon.

I'll do another post on fitting adjustments for the those of you who like going down that rabbit hole with me.

Happy Sewing!

37 comments:

  1. Ooh I love it - it would probably work well with your gray Lindas?

    Definately make another while you are on a roll with it, it looks awesome with the belt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nat, this cardi looks great with the gray Lindas :)
      thanks!

      Delete
  2. A great way to tame the print. The cardigan and dress work well together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this turned out great! I'd love to "see" how you worked the facing and hem - look forward to the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really looks like a winner! Great top. I think this is just the perfect pattern for such a print. In a dress it can be overwhelming. Been down that road myself a few times and ended up with dresses I never wore. (But the colourful prints are so tempting this spring that I have to remind myself not to make that same mistake again...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great print, great cardi - both look fantastic on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, great use for a busy fabric

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect match of pattern and fabric, you look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cardigan is so cute! It turned out beautifully and adds a great pop of color. I never think to make cardigans from my knit prints but now you've given me a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable! Everyone needs a shot of colour at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your choosing to make a cardigan from the fabric was a good choice. This looks great on you and you could wear it with other solid colors, like red.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo, this turned out lovely! I love it with the simple black dress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's great! It really sings with a black dress. Looks like Style Arc patterns are really working for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you everyone ... and to think I had doubts!
      Karin, I am in love with Style Arc style, as well as the fit.

      Delete
  13. It's so cute! You look great! I would like to read about the alterations you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall include that information with hem /facing instructions on my next post.
      thanks!!

      Delete
  14. Love the cardi! This morning, while reading the Telegraph, I came across this article,instantly thought of your brown Bengaline pants and knew I had to share: http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-features/TMG9142912/The-end-of-the-line-for-camel-toe.html.

    The SmoothGrove website is at: Smoothgroovedesigns.com

    See, there is hope...

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW, great look. What a good idea to use such a print as a cardigan. I'm inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful cardigan! It looks fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks great on you!!!! Fun print!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great use of the fabric - it looks stunning paired with the black dress - BTW - did you make the black dress? If so what pattern? It has a really great line to it. You have inspired me to give Style Arc another try - I am going to order that pattern today. I am REALLY looking forward to your fitting instructions post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did sew that dress and it is getting so worn out I need to sew another one.
      It is a pattern I drafted a couple summers ago, thanks!!

      Delete
  19. Thanks for the insights! Looks great on you!

    SueC56

    ReplyDelete
  20. That piece of fabric didn't last long in the stash did it?! ;) And it made up into a wonderful cardigan...you definitely should make another one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! That fabric was still on the bolt this time last week! (already made another one today :)

      Delete
  21. Love it! Just enough of the bold print, and styled exactly right with your little black dress.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! You are right with your first 3 sentence. Don't worry about it. One Re-pin from my side... :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it! The cardi / dress combination is fantastic and you look fantastic. Gorgeous smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Rosie! and everyone for your supportive comments!

      Delete
  24. Yup, yup and yup! I go through the exact same thought process... I especially struggle with visualising how prints will look as finished garments for some reason. A very definite mental block! But I just adore both the print and colours of this cardi on you, especially against the black which is a wonderful foundation for this. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just catching up on blog reading. Your cardigan looks great! That's a great use of a "statement" fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this cardigan! The colors are so vibrant! super cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Georgous! Is this the HotPattern from fabric.com?

    ReplyDelete
  28. great cardi...and thanks for the construction tips!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the viscose elastane blend knits- they are so luxurious! I am about to make this up too (I live in AU and buy Style Arc patterns
    On a regular basis) but after reading your tutorials, I just have to make a sloper first. Keep sharing your tricks of the trade- fantastic tutorials!
    Lexley

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.