Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sewing with Style Arc Patterns

I am having a blast sewing with Style Arc patterns.  The fit is the closest thing to RTW I've ever sewn. 

First, let me show you my Alice Tops:



I used an inexpensive gray jersey for the initial mockup to test my pattern alterations.  Lately, I feel more confident with pattern alterations so I am sewing my initial attempts in wearable fabrics rather than muslin.  The cost is about the same as muslin, and if it fits well enough, I go ahead and finish the garment.   I have lots of gray jersey and black ITY just for sewing mockups of knit patterns.
Happy with this pattern, I proceeded to sew another version in this ITY knit.  I ignored all the puddling at the back of the waist.  I am not sure if I need to want to mess with that on simple knit tops.

Evidently I am sewing for summer!

Here is my second version of the Alice top.
Too bad the print is so busy you can't see the design of the top, or the design of the skirt,
which is the Style Arc Susan Skirt.

The skirt is designed to be 28 inches (72cm) long,
but I removed the excess and hemmed mine to 24 inches (61cm) .


Isn't this a cute skirt?  I sewed mine in a size 14 (Australian) straight out of the envelope without alterations.  My waist is not as small as the measurements indicate, but I suppose knit fabric is just very forgiving.  It actually felt very swishy and swell in that 28 inch length, so I think I will sew another one, in a solid color, and leave it long.

In addition to a superior fit, there is a substantial amount of novelty to be enjoyed with the Style Arc patterns.  For starters, the packaging is different.  They come in large clear sleeves that I intend to store in a 3-ring binder.   There is one piece of paper with the pretty pictures and the instructions on it.  The instructions consist of a sequence of tasks to be performed.  There is a glossary on the website along with more detailed tutorials.  The pattern paper is sturdy; the notches, stitching and cutting lines are easy to see.

Just a side note, my mother never read the instructions when she sewed.  Only recently, she shared her suspicion that she'd always had some type of learning disorder.  And here I thought, all this time, that she did not follow instructions because she was just so good at sewing.  I held myself to that standard all these years.  It was as if I relied on the instructions, I was cheating or something. *snort*  Her example certainly influenced my sewing experience.  I have only taken classes and bought sewing books in the last few years.  Classes and books feel like an indulgence, which is nice.  Maybe this is just a hallmark of being middle-aged.  I've come to appreciate simple things, and to be grateful when life is simply boring.

There is more!  I've been sewing pants.  I am just in love with the simplicity and the fit of the Linda pant, and I will share more of that in my next post.

And, just to keep it real, I have a wadder to report.  The black ruffled cardigan did not work out.  The stretch wool crepe was just too lightweight to do the job.  I'll be on the lookout for a nice boiled wool and resume that project in the future.  Maybe that wadder is why I am enjoying simple sewing so much.
Yay for knits.

Happy Sewing!





24 comments:

  1. Great tops. I love the skirt / top combo. I have tried style arc and didn't do well with them - both wadders. I think it had more to do with my choosing the wrong size. Reviews like yours makes me want to try again. Great outcomes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually thought the skirt and top was a dress. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love your 2 piece dress! So cute! I have a special drawer devoted to my Style Arc patterns and it's IN the sewing room! Most of my patterns live elsewhere, but I use mine over and over so I need them nearby.

    Glad you are having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 2 piece dress is TDF! Simply beautiful! I'm glad that you're having a wonderful experience sewing with the Style Arc patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The two-piece is my favorite, too! So flattering! Where did the knit come from?

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you all! Margy, I bought that ITY knit at G Street Fabrics in Rockville during one of their sales.

    ReplyDelete
  7. StyleArc is making a their name known in Blogland. Great tops and skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The black and white ensemble is wonderful on you, very flattering. I am not sure I would go long as this length looks very good, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the Susan skirt -- I feel another SA order coming on! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bunny, your opinion means a lot to me. I think I will stick with this length :)

    Karen, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you've found a pattern company that works for you. For me, Burda is like that - I just know how they are going to fit and everything is so professional.

    I am really curious to see how your Jilly Jean works out - especially how you get on with the fly instructions - and also how well they fit you. If you get these to fit out of the packet I will be so jealous! I think I chose the wrong fabric actually - I'm not sure my denim had enough stretch - it's all a learning curve!

    Speaking of which, isn't it great to get to the 'wearable muslin' stage of the sewing journey?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Robin, great ensemble. StyleArc really is doing a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. *chiming in with Mary Nanna* It's really good to be at the "wearable muslin" stage. Very good indeed. Though it means I have heaps of very strangely over-engineered casual clothing...

    Looks really great, I'll be interested to see how you do with the other things... And I love that lacy tunic- don't change a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks so much, all!!

    LOL, StephC- you made me laugh because it is SO TRUE. I do have heaps of strangely over-engineered casual clothing.

    Waste not, want not!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks so nice! I'm going to have to try the Style arc patterns. I've never sewn with them before. Thanks for showing them to me.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoa! it´s looks like a dress. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, your two-piece dress is just the look I'd love to achieve. It's looks so easy to wear, so feminine, yet serious enough to be business-like. You and others are great enablers of StyleArc. Now why haven't I order one? or three?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like that top and it looks great with the skirt. Good idea on the cheap jersey to do muslins in. Your comment about tall-ifying your clothes in the Pattern Review made me laugh. I have to do that too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Robin, I love these patterns. I have never tried SA, but you are inspiring me. I, too, never had any sewing books or classes until very recently. I learned from my mother, grandmother and 4H and that was that. (My mother always read the pattern directions, my grandmother never did.) I never thought about learning sewing from a book!! Now I have a few books and find them great. I know this isn't a revelation to many, but it is a whole new world for me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I checked out some of the Style Arc patterns today. There were quite a few I'd like to try. Thanks for turning me on to them. I can't wait to try one.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  21. Robin, you're creating some lovely garments. Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are beautiful! Thanks for the link, i'd never heard of this company. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice

    http://masinski-kutak.blogspot.com

    welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pattern scissors cloth has a really easy (swivel-rotate) alteration for the sway-back puddling that I use on all my knits. You could give that a try-it's a very easy and very effective!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo