Thursday, February 9, 2012

Black ruffled cardigan 2.0

The best thing about my new-and-improved version of the formerly ill-fitting cardigan is that I was able to  re-cycle the ruffle from the original.  


The only thing to slow me down was waiting for a chance to look at it in natural daylight.  The color black can be very hard to match and I got very lucky that these two different fabrics look just fine together.  I guess it was meant to be!

Here is a lightened version of the photo that shows where I am with this project:

During my daily commute, I think about how to finish the seams and things like that.  The plan is to keep it simple.  That is the plan.  ha!  Sometimes I make things a little more complicated than they need to be ....  but this cardigan feels like it will be a winner, so it's worth careful consideration.

That commute gives me time to imagine how this cardigan was created, from design to finished product.  A lot of different people touched it.  Someone designed it, created the pattern, selected the fabric, chose construction techniques and seam finishes.  But then again, maybe not.  I have no experience with industry clothing production.

Here in my workroom,  I am in charge of Quality Control and I am the Chief Stitcher.  I sewed a muslin to check my pattern and now I can use it again on other fabrics.

DTBM (decisions to be made) - the seams can't stretch out of shape; should I reinforce them?  And the fabric doesn't have the same heft as boiled wool; shall I underline it?  Perhaps with powernet?   After I have attached the ruffle to the neck, I'd really like a seam binding like what I found on the original garment.   I'll make something work.

Yep, I will come up with something!







3 comments:

  1. It'll be interesting to see the remainder of your construction techniques. This is going to be gorgeous when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    i really love ruffles
    and this cardigan looks pretty.
    I cant wait to see it finished
    have a nice day
    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do this too...think through projects as I'm walking to catch the bus and riding it back and forth to work. It's a good time when I can sit without interruption, clear my mind and work through any situation.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.