Monday, January 16, 2012

Leisurely Sewing

There are times for speed-sewing and that's not what I am doing right now.  Lately, my sewing time is a more like spa time.   I linger, I fuss and I fondle.  I try on the garment after every little alteration.
The sparkly jacket is probably finished by the time you read this.
I used four-ply silk for the lining and it is oh-so-deluxe.
 I accidentally cut the jacket too short, forcing use wide bias tape for the hem.  Oops!  That's why the lining is attached so close to the edge of the hem.  


At this rate, who knows if I can complete 11 garments for the SWAP, but I will try.  The tan skirt is finished, so only 9 more to go.

This has been on my inspiration board for a while:


And this is what I am thinking:

I'll be back later to post shots of the finished skirt and jacket.  Whether I sew this dress next or not, I sure am glad I have so many fabrics that work well with this jacket.  I look forward to sewing them up as the ideas roll in.

So!  Today is my 7th wedding anniversary!  Yay to me and Howie.  We are giving ourselves a good report card.   No seven-year-itch for us, if anything, we will renew our vows over a nice steak dinner tonight.  

And there is more...

Today is Martin Luther King Day in the United States of America.

Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

More later!!

9 comments:

  1. Triple yum on the 4-ply silk!

    So nice to see you creating and enjoying. :)

    Amen on MLK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the wedding anniversary! Can't wait to see the finished jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slow sewing most often equals great satisfaction with finished product. It's a good way to go. That lining looks luscious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also been engaging in "spa-sewing" recently (love that phrase!). Maybe because I feel like I have enough clothes in my wardrobe so I'm not rushing to finish things just to have something to wear. It's nice. I feel a little lazy but since I'm also working on simple things I find they finish themselves up in pretty good time anyway. Its a pleasure. Looking forward to seeing your finished jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that self-portrait of a modern-day seamstress... It's great as a standalone photograph...

    The dress will be SMASHING. Can't wait to see what you do.

    Mmm spa time. I love that kind of sewing, nice and relaxing, lingering over the garment...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary and many more! The best is yet to come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you soooooooooo much for following my blog.
    I am so honoured.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Following you backa and happy anniversary.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary! My Phineas and I just celebrated out 7th too (no itch here, either ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is going to be a pretty dress!!!

    Congrats on your anniversary! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo