Monday, January 30, 2012

catch-up time: THREE knit tops!

OK, now I have six items sewn for my SWAP.  Since I need eleven, I am more than half way there.  Have you noticed I am not planning?  I think it still counts as a SWAP, though because I am thinking about making each piece work with the others.  Thinking counts, right?  I am keeping track on my SWAP page here.

My SWAP has emerged as a colorful one - and it will be entirely wearable as spring arrives.
I sewed three tops from the same pattern this weekend, the cowl neck top from My Image Magazine Winter 2011/2012.
This black top above started off as a long-sleeved top and careless serging turned it into a short-sleeved top.

The second version, above, which is cranberry with blue undertones, also started out as a long-sleeved top.
The sleeves were so tight (an absent-minded cutting error) I had to cut them really short and add a band to make the sleeve long enough to look OK.  yeah, I was on top of my game all right!
I waited until I had the pattern perfected and appropriate attention span in place before cutting into this amazing green silk jersey.  It is a great color with blue undertones, and brighter than what this photo suggests.  This has been in my stash since I scored several beautiful pieces from Jane of Lucky Sew-and Sew.  She has great taste in fabric- nothing but the best quality!  I have enjoyed sewing many of the pieces I acquired from her.

This gives a little better idea of the color.
I am really pleased to be sewing with colorful fabrics.
Won't I be the bees knees on St. Patrick's Day?
It was really fun to sew this easy pattern.  The alterations were not difficult and the tops are comfortable and flattering.  Boy, it sure is nice to have a few fast easy things come together, isn't it?  I may try a dress from the same issue of My Image Magazine.

Also, I have ordered a few patterns from the Australian pattern-maker Style Arc:


It will probably be another week before these arrive, but I am checking the mail every day!

Happy Sewing!

19 comments:

  1. Oh I love the top -- in all it's variations. The green is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tops and that green silk is yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tops and great new patterns on the way to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhh! You're really getting into this...I like all of the tops in those wonderful colors. Can't wait to see what's next in the SWAP collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the comfortable look of your clothes choices. Looking at those shirts makes me excited about learning to sew knits. Enjoy your new clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great! I have two cuts of silk jersey that I haven't cut in to yet. But, this is the kind of top I'm thinking about. Drapey and nice enough to show off the sheen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the jewel tones. Easy elegance is what I would call those tops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tops! The green is my favorite, but I'm sure all will be beautiful on you. I have several cuts of silk jersey in my stash that I don't have the nerve to cut into. But I like your idea a lot of making several in the same pattern until you get it perfected.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your tops, the colors are great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tops and I love the fabrics you used. Thank goodness you were able to save the first two - anyway it's good to have them all looking a little bit different!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Nikki dress and the pull on pants look amazing! and such pretty colors for your new tops. You're the bomb.com/stepmom

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your tops! The cowl looks lovely and the colours are just divine! I've never sewn with silk jersey but it looks beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooh, those are pretty tops. How clever of your creative side to encourage you to make 3 different sleeve versions.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The tops are beautiful, but love the green. The silk jersey looks luxurious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow you have more that half of your SWAP garments finished already. Guess that proves the worth of using TNT patterns. It is a nice pattern. Your tops look so nice I am motivated to see if I can find my copy of that issue. Was the silk knit easy to sew? I have a couple pieces in my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous tops all are pretty colours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the idea of using the same basic pattern in a number of different colours. Certainly builds a great work wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely tops and gorgeous colors.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.