Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Draping - Made Easy & Fun

You can read about the Great Drapo in this LIFE magazine article, and watch him here:



Isn't he amazing?  Watching him drape fabric into dresses within minutes was refreshing after fiddling with flat pattern adjustments this afternoon.  I traced off a very cute skirt from a Burda magazine and tissue-fitted it on my dress form.  I wasn't happy with it, so I didn't proceed any further.
I don't think an A-line silhouette suits me, so maybe I will just sew another version of my self-drafted versatile skirt.  It is, after all, pretty versatile. 
Then again, why don't I just wrap the fabric around me and secure with rubber bands?  I am tempted!

10 comments:

  1. How fun! What a great party trick!

    I spent much of the last two days altering a pattern. Feh. ;)

    Good luck with your skirt, whichever one you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh. There's some good zero waste design going on... I wonder if the day dress could be adapted...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! My husband used to claim that if only I could just drape all my fabric around me, I would have the most amazing wardrobe without spending so much time in the sewing room. So, it is doable. Wonder how long those dresses would actually stay in place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wacky! Notice that none of the dresses are draped along the grain. That would be pretty hard to do with this method . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fantastic, thank you very much for the link. I love the second dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If only my prof would have let me do that in my draping class!

    Thank you for sharing the video and the link to the Life Magazine article. I LOVED them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant! I so could have used this for the patternless week over at the Sew Weekly :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it just amazing that he could accomplish that?! It is nice to see how much is possible with some imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Robin,

    The man is an artist!!! I looked around at your blog and I liked it. I sew since I was 12 (50 now) and I blog too, but over more topics than sewing (naaien) and it is in Dutch (nederlands).

    Bye bye from Holland,

    Dorothé
    http://djaktief.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo