Tuesday, November 8, 2011

About Me

All good blogs have an "About Me" page (I have been told) but I dragged my feet writing one.  Well, I finally did it, and added it to my side-bar. it's all about me, me, me!  Now I want to create a cute button.  That is a boring little link, if you ask me.

OK, enough about me.
...
What do you think about me?

ha ha

Sewing Mojo!! It is back!
I am going to participate in the 2012 SWAP (Sewing With a Plan) held on the Stitchers Guild sewing discussion forum.

The rules (taken directly from the website):
This year, our SWAP will focus on fitting, and making tried-and-true patterns: testing and fitting paper patterns, muslins, and fashion garments that will help lower the overall sewing failure rates,  result in fabulous clothing to be proud of, and (hopefully) give every contestant a pattern or two that works every time it is used.

Choose any seven garments from this list:

Button-up Shirt w/Collar           
Blouse                
T-Shirt           
Vest                                
Overshirt                 
Dress             
Jeans
Trousers       
Shorts or Capri Pants       
Skirt   
Jacket                     
Coat  
Overcoat or Raincoat     
Bathing Suit & Coverup 
                             
From those seven, choose four to make twice for a total of 11 garments that will work together.



I am all over this!  Can't wait to start planning.  The hardest part of sensible sewing is the boredom factor.  I will need to keep things interesting enough to beat the boredom.


Anyone else thinking about sewing some coordinating items?  Or does that just kill the buzz for you?  Sometimes, I really need to sew something frivolous, so I understand!


10 comments:

  1. Good luck with the SWAP. The rules this year are encouraging quite a few sewists to participate...and that's a good thing! I will be following along and can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I start off every season planning for a SWAP. I think I prefer the planning to the actual doing. My current plan (fall/winter 2011) isn't so much a SWAP but a promise to myself to stick to a color scheme. As long as the fabric is one of 4 colors, it will go with other items in my closet. I seem to be sticking to that much better than an actual SWAP. It allows for finding new fabrics, discovering new patterns, ect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robyn, I'll look forward to seeing your plans come together. I loved your 'about me' blurb and I'm glad to know you're not a serial killer haha. Your sewing is inspirational. That fitted shirt is like a work of art on you. Such a beautiful fit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This SWAP is the most appealing one so far, IMHO. I admire you for taking on the challenge. And great explanation of RTW versus custom fitting your new intro. I have got to work on updating my blog image but that's not as much fun as sewing something new:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been tempted to join the SWAP but as usual will probably only join in my head as I watch others sew their fabulous new wardrobes. And I love your About Me page :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've also pondered this one: it looks like a challenge which really encourages people towards sewing success!

    My last SWAP ended at item 7 out of 10. I thought I did well to get that far - but the last 3 were the killer.

    When does a challenge push you hard enough to work through to success or become too hard to complete?

    A difficult balance to achieve. I say go for it - you can bail when it's not working, follow as long as it is worth it to you, even if you get a single well co-ordinated outfit you've succeeded.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds very interesting, but then, so does every challenge of this sort.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This year, our SWAP will focus on fitting, and making tried-and-true patterns: testing and fitting paper patterns, muslins, and fashion garments that will help lower the overall sewing failure rates, result in fabulous clothing to be proud of, and (hopefully) give every contestant a pattern or two that works every time it is used.

    Isn't that ... sewing? Especially nonprofessional sewing?

    Sounds like a sensible challenge, or contest, whatever this is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that I've made mild fun of it, I might actually do it. How do you sign up? Do you simply submit photos on April 30? I went to the board, but there's a lot of information to plow through.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that sounds like a great SWAP! i will definitely be tuning in!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo