Thursday, October 27, 2011

thread. scissors. fabric. ahhhhh.


Updated on November 1, 2011 to add my own odd little girl:

It's not much, but I did touch base with my sewing machine this week.

With Halloween fast approaching, I buckled down and sewed the costume requested by my daughter.  She is planning to dress up as Wednesday Addams.  Per wikkipedia, The Addamses are a satirical inversion of the ideal American family; an eccentric, wealthy clan who delight in the macabre and are unaware that people find them bizarre or frightening.

Lisa Loring played Wednesday in the television series, and Christina Ricci played her in the movie.

The dress is a simple black knit dress from Target and I appliqued the collar and cuffs using fabric scraps left over from white t-shirts sewn in 2009.  Those t-shirts are still going strong, too, I am happy to report.
I sewed on five shirt buttons that have a silver edge around the mother of pearl.  I imagine this will be a somewhat tarted-up version of a prim strange little girl.
Mini dress with a low neckline.  Not all that prim, after all.


At work, we are having a Halloween party on Friday and costumes are encouraged, but I will just wear orange and black.  Tonight I am making a sandwich platter for the party.  Go me!

How about you?  Are you dressing up for any parties or answering the door for trick-or-treaters on October 31st?

Or will you turn off the lights and pretend you aren't home, a la Martha Stewart?  That is per Martha's daughter, anyway.  I do not think my daughter would ever say such nasty things about me.  Maybe Martha didn't sew enough costumes for her daughter.  Hmmm. 











11 comments:

  1. Halloween has a darker side in the UK than in the US and I don't much like it. I'm going to go in pretty clothes to the church 'Pumpkin Party' and serve the tea and coffee to the adults.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our church does a trunk-or-treat for Halloween, my daughter is dressing as Alice & myself as the Mad-Hatter, so our trunk theme will be decorated with Alice In Wonderland. Unfortunately I didn't sew any of it this year, went for the quick instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No costumes here this year - I just want to say that I just found your blog, I'm enjoying it, and I LOVE your title! Too too true :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute costume. Great job, Grandma.

    We will buy our annual bag of mini hershey candies, put them in the bowl, and wait in suspense. In six years living here we have yet to get one trick or treater. Think the word's out about that crazy old eccentric couple at the end of that long dirt road? The next day will start chomping on the candies. After a few mini bars they will get tossed in the freezer and probably forgotten till after Christmas. That's my Halloween at this stage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful costume! (and fairly easy!)
    Don't dress up myself, but I do wait for the munchkins on our street to come by. I love to see all the costumes. Some of those mothers sure put in a lot of time on those outfits! (Way more than I ever did!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am wearing a costume, but sadly, no sewing was involved. I found a lovely witches fascinator on Etsy with a crystal spiderweb on it and a fun veil, so I am going to be the black widow. Spiderweb tights and earrings and a black fur vest over a black dress complete the ensemble. Have fun at your party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are in our 50s, and are by far the youngest couple in our neighborhood. Haven't had any children stop by the house for candy since our child was in middle school, eight years ago. I may still dress up in my witch hat, just because I can. Otherwise, it's a candy-eating gorge-fest in the kitchen at our house this Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Creative as always! Halloween will be quiet for me this year. We used to be famous for our costume parties, but that was in the 70's and 80's!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No costumes this year, and no candy since nobody ventures down our long, dark cul-de-sac anymore and I don't need the extra calories the day after. But back in the 90s the company I worked for had the greatest Halloween tradition. The entire month of October each work group would plan their exhibition in accordance with the official theme for the year. The week before Halloween virtually nothing else got done while we all plotted and decorated. Halloween day (or the Friday before) no real work got done. There was a catered meal, a judging of the exhibitions, contests in some way related to the theme between the work groups. It was a fabulous day of fun.

    Lois K

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember laughing and then breathing a deep sigh of relief upon reading a story many years ago in which Stewart mère et fille were looking at the last minute for a restaurant in which they could eat Thanksgiving dinner.

    Tension between a tremendously successful and demanding businesswoman who, it seems, raised her daughter alone, and the daughter? Shocking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your daughter's dress, and I think I want one too!

    Halloween is not very big in Australia - and this year will no doubt be overshadowed by the Melbourne Cup which is the very next day - but in my little neighbourhood we do celebrate, and my kids will be going out to do the rounds with friends (plus a dad). My son will be dressed as Leif from Deltora Quest (a semi-sewn costume) and my daughter is thinking of going as a pirate with bits and pieces from the dress up hamper. I think I am supposed to dress up too for handing out the lollies or demanding tricks but I don't know what I'm doing yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.