Sunday, October 16, 2011

simple teal shirt

I did some comfort sewing this weekend and ended up with a classic teal cotton shirt.

And just what is comfort sewing?  
It is something I can sew without consulting instructions, using easy-to-handle fabric and satisfying to press. {I love to iron!} I cut this shirt back in February, so it was nice to jump in and start stitching.

There was a time when it was unthinkable for me to leave a project unfinished for eight months.  Whether I was too excited to let it rest, or, determined to conquer the challenge, I had to finish what I started.  Nowadays, I can let things marinate.  My sewing is a reliable endeavor that produces wardrobe staples when I am not up to big challenges, as well as relaxation when I am not up to big challenges.  This would be very similar to pulling frozen tomatoes out of the freezer to make a hearty stew.

There was a little bump in the road when I accidentally serged a slice into the armscye:
oops
I didn't fret, though, because "these things happen."  All it takes is another piece of fabric on top of the mistake and now we have a design detail.  I refused to let it that little accident ruin my shirt because I was so close to finishing, I love the color and I will usually wear another layer over it anyway.  I maintain you can barely even notice it.
My oops turns into a "design detail" 
Boy, just looking at those curved & narrow shoulder seams makes me glad I sew.  I shopped around a department store yesterday where I could hold things up, look and see that they just weren't going to fit my shoulders, so why bother trying them on.  That can be a little depressing, so I just scooted on out of there.  I will just keep sewing up UFO's until I am struck with inspiration.  I want some new skirts, too, so maybe I will sew up a couple versions of my versatile skirt.

Tights and lace-up shoes sound good.  I like these by J.Jill:
Then maybe a tweed blazer?  Yes, that sounds nice!  We'll see.  One thing at a time.

Happy Sewing!


15 comments:

  1. Great looking shirt and it is a beautiful colour. I really love your 'design detail' (great save there - I think I would have burst into tears!). I have exactly the same problem with my narrow shoulders - if a RTW shirt does fit me at the shoulders I have absolutely no chance of buttoning it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple? Simply stunning! Love the lace up shoes. Together with a tweed jacket it will be a great winter look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice....design detail and all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that design detail! I'll keep that idea for future use 'cause I know I'll need it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty color on you. I love your analogy with the tomatoes, so true. Looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice color and the design detail looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice looking shirt. I do love the shoes as well. A good plan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This colour looks wonderful on you. Great save on that oops!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great staple wardrobe piece. I have a similar shirt in both color and stye that I wear a lot. And a cever save on the sewing "oops"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great save, making a design detail out of a cut! That's a terrific idea. And your blouse turned out beautifully. Not all sewing has to be a big, challenging project. Sometimes we need a sure thing between those big construction pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blouse. That is so versatile and can be worn under a jacket, sweater or even over a teeshirt. You are correct.. your 'design detail' is barely noticeable. Maybe you should have used a contrasting fabric and make it your trademark. Beautiful blouse, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Comfort sewing! What a great concept.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll be adding "comfort sewing" to my vocab, it's just the phrase I was missing!
    Thanks for sharing how you saved your shirt. It's clever, it's simple, and it works! I'd never think of it myself in a million years. I'd just sit there feeling miserable and give. Maybe I'll remember your shirt instead and not let this happen. Thanks for the "inpiration on file" for when I need it.
    By the way, a couple weeks ago, I had to delete my blog because it was somehow linked to malware. It seemed best to just start again. You can find me at http://alittlesewing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the colour of this shirt and I must say you did a great job sewing it. This kind of shirts would make perfect Christmas gifts

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great fix on your shirt and the color is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.