Tuesday, September 20, 2011

African waxed cotton fabric & Dr. Seuss

I took a little sewing detour and went crafty on you.  The main body of this apron is African waxed cotton and the trim (ADE-10791-203is from the Celebrate Seuss collection designed by Robert Kaufman.
It's a good thing this was the only remaining stock where I shopped.
I fear I'd have gone wild if the rest of the prints had been available.
The pattern is view B from More Retro Aprons by Cindy Taylor Oates, a book I picked up while vacation last week.
The instructions would have you line the apron, but I didn't have enough of the African fabric and it would have made it too bulky anyway.  I hope my DSD is busy with the start of the new school year, so she doesn't see this post and spoil the surprise.  A friend of hers brought the fabric back from a trip to Africa and Kelly had no idea what to do with it.  It is a lot of look, I have to agree.  The fabric has a pretty stiff hand, so it could have been made into a jacket, but she couldn't see herself wearing it.  Home decor?  It didn't work in her home, either.  The fabric came from a very good friend, though, so my bet is that she will be delighted with an apron.

First I sewed the straps and attached them to the body, which has shaping darts.  That's a nice touch - everyone wants to look shapely in their apron, right?

Then I added the ruffle:
And finally, I added bias tape to finish all the edges.  By this time, I had completely departed from the pattern instructions, but I think they were pretty good if you want to make cute aprons.  Now would be a good time to do some holiday sewing, if you are so inclined.
(I don't think I am.  It's time to sew for me next!)

There are more apron patterns in this book, so I imagine it will come in handy in the future:
The best part about this pattern is the way it ties in the back - I believe the crossed straps make it a little more comfortable to wear:
Do you think 4 hours is too long to spend on a project like this?  It surprises me that it wasn't faster, but maybe it's because I had to cut all that bias binding without the benefit of my cutting table.  Now that my daughter is back home, I have relinquished a bookcase I'd been using in my cutting area, and all of my interfacings & linings got dumped onto the cutting table.  Lordie, it is a never-ending chore to just get organized!

On a non-related sewing note, the painting is finished and new blinds were installed.  There is nothing hung on the walls yet, but the entire main floor of our house is now freshly painted and I am calling the renovations complete.  Flooring, blinds, countertop, backsplash, light fixture and new appliances are all installed.  As soon as a few finishing touches are added,  I can have my free time back for serious sewing.
It is time for ME now for a little while.
Me, me, me  - it's all about me!

By the way, don't you think this would be cute in an apron?

Yes, I think so.

Happy sewing to me (and to you, too!)

13 comments:

  1. Aprons, good idea for Christmas sewing. Both of my married and cooking daughters could use one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the Dr Suess fabric is so cute!
    The apron came out looking wonderful- awesome use of the fabric :)

    We wear x-back aprons like that for letterpress printing, and they are great since they can adjust to any body size.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is great and love the lively print combo. I am sure she will be very happy with this,Robin. Now, what are we going to sew first now that you have your "ME" focus back? Can't wait to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The African fabric is stunning and I love how you added the ruffle. A piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful use of that fabric. And, I love the Dr. Seuss collection! I've actually used that last one to make a carry-all baby bag for my brother and sister-in-law. It was too cute to pass up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. really cute. I always wear aprons and make for holidays and everyday. once I find a great pattern, I can whip them up in no time. I think they are a great way to use novelty fabrics as you have already discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ultra cute! It amazes me how long it takes to make aprons. You're right, it's cutting and making all that bias binding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure, I can believe it took 4 hours. Some blog sewers list their "stats." I really don't care how long it took, only whether it's well made and I like it. Two-hour wonders rarely impress me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that apron!It doesn't suprise me how long it took to make - the detail counts if it is a couture jacket or an apron. I have been thinking about something that I could make for my daughter and some others for Christmas and you have just solved my problem.Thanks!

    By the way, the Dr Seuss fabric is just FABULOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it very cute. So nice to hear that renovations eventually get finished.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I certainly would be delighted with that apron! I love aprons. And, it is still sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is totally off topic. I follow and enjoy your blog although I am not much of a commenter. However, I got the new issue of Vogue Patterns in the mail today and when I opened it up, there you were. I thought "Hey, I "know" her". Very cool to see you there in the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving the Dr. Sues.... it would be cute as an apron or matching aprons for you and a grandchild... or a DD and grandchild... or even a DDIL and a grandchild... I'm seeing a pattern here! LoL.... I've been babysitting my grandchildren for the past week and have 4 more days to go! Bet I'll have to get my hair colored when I'm thru.... tee hee!
    The apron you made turned out really cute! Lov'in the back side of the manikin!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo