Sunday, August 21, 2011

Finished Lonsdale Dress and Fabric Winner

The lovely Lonsdale dress is finished - but it is hard to show on a hanger, so I draped it on the holly bush.

The Sewaholic Lonsdale dress is adorable.  Because it is a halter dress, there are no shoulder fitting challenges and the front neckline twist is a nice detail, especially on a smaller-busted figure where the emphasis is welcome.  Also, it's easy to wear braless because the bodice is lined and one could easily add cups, although it wasn't necessary for my version.

For my version of this dress, I was concerned with attractive placement of the floral motifs, so I cut each piece individually.  I like using opague pattern paper to allow the print to show through.  This way, I can trace the motifs and match as I cut fabric.  You can see my pencil marks in the picture below.  And because the fabric is so lightweight, I underlined the bodice with cotton batiste and the skirt with rayon lining.  The elastic casing is made from charmeuse silk bias binding leftover from another project.  It adds zero bulk.
Rather than altering the pattern for bust darts, I added casing for elastic on the underlining.
I like this wide elastic that can be cut to any width.  In this case I wanted the narrowest elastic possible.
 This wide elastic can be found in several stores in the NYC garment district and online at Pamela's Patterns.
Both elastic casings finished - they are attached right along the stitching line.
View of finished bodice from the inside, with elastic inserted into the underlining.  When worn, the elastic should stretch enough to lie flat and prevent gapping at the upper edge.
This silk/cotton blend woven can be washed although it loses just a little bit of the sheen.  I'd recommend washing by hand as opposed to using the gentle cycle in the washing machine.   I bought mine in the garment district,  but it is also available online at Gorgeous Fabrics.  I loved it so much, I bought it in both colorways - the teal & gold is warm and I love it on on tawny blondes, redheads, Latina and African-American skin tones.  The black & red is cool and better for my coloring, which is more Irish pale-burns-easily-pinkish skin.

Le sigh.  I would love to go right into another summer dress project in one of the gorgeous cottons I picked up at Elliott Berman last month.  Either that or a bathing suit.  Can't decide - I LOVE daydreaming about my next project, don't you?  I hope my friend likes this dress!

Hmmm, Redrockcity, I wonder how you will use this fabric?  
I will send you what I've got!  
Contact me at alittlesewing at gmail dot com and 
let me know where to mail it!

18 comments:

  1. The fabric was just right for this beautiful dress! I hope your friend likes it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fabric is gorgeous and you took such pains to create a beautiful dress. How can she not love it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your efforts paid off. This dress is darling. All of your thought shows.

    I am glad I am not the only one who still wants to sew summer, fruitless, but I want to. Summer cottons and linens are such a delight to stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the dress turned out. Just beautiful! I hope we get to see a picture of it being worn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Nice technique with the elastic so there is no peekaboo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your finished dress looks amazing! Great vision! The pattern matching is immaculate too! Wow!

    I had a peek at the black version of your print and am quietly crushing on it.... So pretty but a little rich for my tastes :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Lonsdale looks fabulous! I love that you inserted the elastic casings at the side! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure your friend is going to love it. The border placement is really creative and the elastic tip is brilliant too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ambitious project with great fabric and a beautiful result.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dress is perfect! How could she not like it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a quite pretty dress, and the holly loves to dress up in it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's lovely! The positioning of the border print is absolutely inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very lovely! I love the use of elastic in the side. Great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You should be very pleased with this one. Love the positioning of the border print.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous dress, and great fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.