Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Sewing Workshop e-Shrug

For a fast project, The Sewing Workshop e-shrug makes a cute little jacket.  I sewed one in a weekend not long ago, and I really like the pattern. Here is what it looked like after I printed it out & taped the pieces together.  After I was finished, I came back and marked the stitching lines with a felt tip pen so I can remember for next time.

Here is the order of steps:
1. Print & tape the pattern to the cutting table.
2. Trace the pattern on the smallest size for girths, largest size for height.
3. Tissue fit.
4. No surprise, I needed more on the back in the shoulder area (just like the adjustment I needed on Silhouette #175 - see below).  This is combines a forward shoulder adjustment with adjustments for narrow neck and additional height.
Silhouette knit top pattern #175
It is very satisfying to cut and sew something with only a couple of seams!  Once it was sewn, I was able to see how much volume should be in the front and I just chopped off several inches until it looked OK.

The final result - a fun little jacket:

This will be cute in a drapey knit, too.  I must make another version! (or 2)

Happy Sewing!


18 comments:

  1. That is a cute little jacket and I can see why you want a couple more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I have a couple of similar purchased tops and keep saying I want to make some more. I should check out this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great on you. I like the colour fabric you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute shrug. Quick and easy is for me too. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! It looks like one of those things you could have in every color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely shrug in deed! I love the fabric's texture and color:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute, Robin! I'm all about easy these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this jacket, especially the front collar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, this is such a fabulous, fun little jacket. Your version is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Robin... You did a wonderful job on your version of this jacket.... Look for it in an upcoming issue of Threads Magazine, I used it in an embroidery article. (I don't want to spoil the surprise as to the technique.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this shrug - casual but still stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey there a little sewing! We think your crafty blog is great, and we want to share it with other sewers and quilters by featuring a link on www.WeAllSew.com! We’ll be featuring you as a “Favorite Blog” find all next week. Please let me know if you have any questions about being featured at WeAllSew.com. Thanks so much-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute - and fun to sew something up so quick!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A super cute little relaxing jacket. I love your fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect. just the thing you need to have an extra layer for comfort and stylish as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for posting this. I have it all copied, printed and saved. I'm leaving nothing to chance.

    Karen aka Karendee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.