Saturday, May 28, 2011

Prom Dress Reveal

Here we have the prom dress I sewed for my niece Maggie:


The final fitting happened (on my lunch hour!) the day before the prom.  And it was a very busy day at work, too.

(stressed out? what makes you ask?)  

The dress fit pretty well - the changes were about the style.  The ruching that had extended down to hip level was changed to end at waist level.  I snipped out the previous seam which had been bound with narrow twill tape, and sewed a smooth seam.  If you can follow that, it means the dress became 1.5 inches too long.  This was a VERY FAST alteration.  I had nerves of steel, if I do say so myself.  I snipped, sewed a long basting stitch to test the fit, then serged away.  I serged a new hem, too.


 Maggie had died her hair fuchsia for a play that ran last week.
Maggie as She-Devil in the Flaming Guns of Purple Sage
I had a really good time making this dress.  I liked her design choice.  I liked that I was allowed to use spandex and the serger.  I would not sew something if I didn't like it.  Now, I am a bit of a fabric snob and would normally prefer working with fine silk - but, come on!  This was a prom dress for a girl who is already thinking about the next thing on her very full social calendar.  I just couldn't see investing a lot of time in it.

When I sewed Kelly's coat, it was like that, too.  I really liked her design choice and I was allowed to sew it using the fabric and construction techniques of my own choosing.  For that project, I did use  high quality fabric, but that's because it will be worn for a long time.  So that makes sense.

I am rambling.  I can feel it.  That means it's time to stop typing, maybe read this over and edit out any excess words and click PUBLISH POST.

*update at 6:36pm*
More photos are appearing on Facebook.  I cannot resist posting.  Nor can I resist stating an opinion.

The hair color?  I don't care.
The nose ring?  I don't care.
But a dress that fits?  I care.

Maggie could have worn this neckline much lower because the dress is very adjustable.  That was the whole purpose of sewing with 4-way stretch spandex.  Fitting was a breeze. 

It strikes me that she likes to be in total control of her image.  She doesn't do cleavage.   Last year's request also had a high neckline.  That little black dress came in handy - she wore it to Senior Awards this year.  This is delicate territory for a blog like mine - I am not a fashionista and this is a member of my family.  

I am just saying that sewing is a very useful skill.
:D




46 comments:

  1. wow - she looks super hot! What a great dress - so perfect for her and the occasion - you are such a good aunty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Nanna, it is true - she is a a hotty. And she is even nicer than she is hot. She's a great girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one lucky guy that gets to take her to prom! The redhair looks great on her! She's a beaut!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your niece looks amazing! She has a beautiful figure and your dress really shows it off. It's not a sewing related comment, but, she has such a pretty face that she can even pull off a very stark hair colour and still look gorgeous. Ah, youth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did an amazing job and the dress looks absolutely gorgeous on her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on this dress. It fits her like a glove and she looks beautiful. I echo what Mary Nanna said, "You're an awesome auntie!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it! the dress came out so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to you and your niece for sharing the picture of the dress when worn. So special, you did a perfect (stress) job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a GREAT job, Robin. She looks fabulous! What a nice auntie. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. It turned out beautiful! And the fit is just fabulous. I love her hair, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the hair color just added to the awesomeness of the dress! Thanks for explaining why it was such an unusual color...cause I was wondering! *smile* You are a great aunty who did an amazing job...I know it was appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic dress! I think her hair color adds a pop of of drama to the whole look. I hope she had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maggie looks amazing! You did an amazing job on her dress! The fit is incredible and the style is perfect. So flattering for her figure. Thank you for these series of posts which I will be bookmarking and thoroughly enjoyed reading. My daughter has a similar figure so following how you constructed and fit this dress has been wonderful reading. Thank you for taking the time at an obviously busy time for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow- great dress and a beautiful duaghter! Love the hair and the no cleavage rule. It's awesome that she's so strong-minded.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The dress fits perfectly. Your niece looks very glamourous. You are such a kind Auntie. It would be very sad if a girl who likes to be totally in control of her image had to rely on RTW. (Does she sew?)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job on the dress!!!! It looks absolutely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was really hoping you would post some pics. Awesome job. She looks smoking hot. Did she have any problems with the dress sagging during the evening because of the 4 way stretch?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that she looks so glamorous and age appropriate at the same time! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. She looks gorgeous, pink hair and all! The dress is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Robin she looks fabulous! I think the fuschia hair is perfect with the black, and the later-posted photo with the shades and a closeup of the necklace - well, she's gorgeous! I hope she has/had a wonderful time.

    And very nice work, Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  21. So refreshing to see a young woman who knows what they want and can dress sexy AND stylish. I love the dress and the important thing is that it suits your niece and at the end of the day that's all that matters. You must be a very proud aunty.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It fits perfectly and she looks amazing, I think the hair colour looks fantastic with the dress too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you all so much for your wonderful comments. Maggie texted me to say the dress stayed confortable all night and she had a wonderful time. And some other mushy stuff about she likes me and stuff.

    I am so proud of her, too. Thank you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's so gorgeous! Looks like a perfect fit, too. I'm so jealous of her hair.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wowww!!
    I love this dress and she looks absolutely gorgeous!

    I love her hair!!!! great color ^_^




    My sewing-fashion-vintage blog:
    http://alicecloset-sewing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a stunning dress! You did an excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Stunner! I love that she has this sexy, beautiful dress but was smart enough to realize she didn't need the low cleavage to prove her point! Wise young woman!

    You did a fabulous job on this, Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW. Fantastic dress, great fit, amazing aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your niece has a gorgeous figure and the beautiful dress you made emphasizes it in a classy way. My nieces also experiment with wild hair colors, extreme makeup and clothes. I look back on my youth and wish I had been more adventurous in those area while I was young and could get away with it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Totally red carpet!!!! She's amazing and you totally rocked making that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Old style glamour! Your neice looks fabulous (I wish I could carry off that hair colour - I guess I am closer to a blue rinse now.....)and the dress is just awesome. Well done Auntie!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!! I hope you're taking the time to REALLY pat yourself on the back for this one! Your niece looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, what a figure! And the dress suits her so well. You did a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Perfect dress for her gorgeous curves. Hope she appreciated your generosity. The fushia hair is kinda funky too.

    ReplyDelete
  35. She is stunning and her dress is just perfect for her. What a bombshell!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Robin, the dress is amazing, as is your niece. She looks fantastic and the hair color is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Gosh, your niece is stunning. I love that she didn't need feel the need to show off mass cleavage - sometimes it's sexier to leave a bit to the imagination. What a cool, but classy gal. This dress fits her like a glove and shows off her form perfectly - you did a wonderful construction and fitting job.

    ReplyDelete
  38. She looks AMAZING! Like a manga heroine.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am so grateful for the loving support of you, my internet sewing friends. You are the best. I was a little nervous about posting because I was afraid of people making judgements based on appearances and if there were negative comments, I would have felt bad about exposing my dear niece to anything negative. But you have proven to be the best readers a blogger could hope for. Thank you all, for making it such a pleasure to write this blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I loved reading about this project and the results are beautiful!! oh, and HOW AWESOME IS HER HAIR?!!?!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Beautiful dress!!!!! Your niece is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  42. It's so nice to see a young person with an actual sense of self, rather than a sheep following ever destructive tends!
    Your skills are fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Maggie is certainly bold and beautiful. Love the hair and the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Your niece must have just totalllllly loved this dress as it looked like a million bucks on her! It appears to suit her style, original! Good for her! Kinda like that saying "Be yourself, everyone else is already taken"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.