Sunday, May 15, 2011

Gown Lining aka Bra-Slip: FINISHED

Here is a look at the finished lining for my niece's prom dress.  I altered the photo considerably so the details would should up.  Black is so difficult to photograph.
The lining fabric was purchased from Metro Textiles in NYC several years ago.  I asked for knit lining - it is not tricot, it is more like a crepe.  It is MUCH easier to handle than tricot. 

From the outside.  The straps are covered with the fashion fabric.  The dress will be attached, by machine,  along the neckline edge  and where the bodice meets the straps will be hand sewn with a fell stitch.

From the inside, you can see the specialty elastic used.  The white stripes are a grippy elastic thread woven into the elastic band.  This type of elastic holds the garment snugly against the body.  At this point I had not yet serged the edge where the bottom of the bra attaches to the skirt.

And here is a sneak peak at the back of the gown:
So, yeah, this is spandex.  Serged spandex.  Keep your fingers crossed for me, OK?
So far, so good!  This project has been a very easy sew because each fabric has been very easy to handle.  And fast!  My goodness, I made the back of the dress in about 45 minutes.

When I was at Couture Boot Camp, a classmate was sewing a spectacular gown for her daughter's prom.  I am all for sewing with fine couture techniques out of love for the craft (or should I say art?)

On the other hand, there is a time and a place for a serged spandex dress that can be thrown in the wash  (this one can - I pre-washed it 3 times to get rid of that smell fabrics have sometimes).
I guess it is obvious that my niece is not obsessed with the prom.   She studies acting at a high school for the arts and she has performances coming up that eclipse prom madness.  And that is why I am sewing a stretch knit gown - she does not have time for a lot of fittings, so a knit is a safer bet.  

You are hereby warned: You may see a post in another day entitled "Maybe you shouldn't serge spandex for a prom gown".  I am still uncertain from time to time, because it has 4-way stretch and it's a little heavy and I hope I can  come up with the right amount of negative ease to make it work.

If it doesn't work, I could go to a plan B will be a poly charmeuse with some lycra.  In other words, a 2-way stretch woven as opposed to a 4-way stretch knit.  The dress sews up so fast, there is still time.  But, I remain hopeful that this will work just fine. 

Interesting, eh?  We shall see!

20 comments:

  1. This is really coming together very well. Quite impressive! You have one very lucky niece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning!!! She'll be the queen of the ball!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - just saw you used plastic'ish covered elastics - that thing can eat your skin if worn all night, sweating and dancing. You might want to test it on her - have her wear a band like that for a entire day - just to make sure she won't get burned by the plastic on prom night (talking from experience - I had a two line burn-sore around my bust for 4 weeks and it hurt like.... words I won't say ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lining is very clever. It reminds me of high end rtw. She is bound to look amazing. Anything comparable that her peers will be wearing is likely to have no internal support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, it's coming together really well. The interior looks like it will really fit and stay in place when she's dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The interior looks great! I bet the fit will be really amazing, knowing you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, loving all the engineering under this dress. so cool! It's going to be really lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am on pins and needles! CAn not wait to see this dress finished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking good! Hopefully the lycra works well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think stretch knit can be very elegant when worn for evening. And you have done a great job with the bra slip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going to say, so far so good, but I think this will jinx things so I'll refrain. I know how the sewing gods work. :) I am loving your posts though, seeing how the dress is coming together. I love watching other people sew.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The dress is looking great so far and I love the slip you made. Oh I'm salivating.....can't wait to see the finished product. Your niece will be so happy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is looking amazing so far, can't wait to see the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOOOOhhhhh. I think knits are amazing. Beautiful dress so far.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wowsa - the dress is looking great from inside out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very smart way to do this, love the fact that it has all the support built in.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it. I may take the built in support approach for my own ball dress which I need for November.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh! Brilliant idea! I might steal it one day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo