Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ahhh, Tuesday and Nice to be Back!


Greetings!  A lot happened over the weekend, none of it about me.  It was pretty sweet, all around.  Those college administrators probably say the same thing to every graduating class, but when it is your loved one, it does produce a misty eye.  Or unexpected sloppy sobs, as the case may be.  

But now we are back to the routine and - hey, it's about me again!!  What did I wear?  That colorful jacket on the sewing table was intended for the graduation ceremony, but as you may recall, there was another (more pressing) sartorial crisis in the family.  
A quick trip to Talbots to see if anything there fits (answer is still no! hee hee) but isn't this scarf lovely?  I knew it would be cold in Boston and an extra layer like this does a lot to add warmth.  The purple worked well with my raincoat and I tested out some fishnet hose.  The fishnet hose get a resounding thumbs up!  They kept me warm and felt good on my feet in a way that panty hose does not.  For some reason, regular pantyhose make my feet slide out of shoes and it becomes very uncomfortable as the day progresses.

Little black dress - [italics are mine] 

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
little black dress is an evening or cocktail dress, cut simply and often quite short. Fashion historians 
ascribe the origins of the little black dress to the 1920s designs of Coco Chanel,[1] intended to be long-lasting,
versatile, affordable, accessible to the widest market possible and in a neutral color.  Its ubiquity
is such that it is often simply referred to as the "LBD."[2][3][4]  The "little black dress" is considered essential to 
a complete wardrobe by many women and fashion observers, who believe
it a "rule of fashion" that every woman should own a simple, elegant black dress that can be dressed up or 
down depending on the occasion: for example, worn with a jacket and pumps for daytime business wear
or with more ornate jewelry and accessories for evening. 
Because it is meant to be a staple of the wardrobe for a number of years, the style of the little 
black dress ideally should be as simple as possible: a short black dress that is too clearly part
of a trend would not qualify because it would soon appear dated.

I am 100% sold on the concept.  It worked for me!
Thank you all for the great ideas you posted about the colorful jacket.  Hey, I bet I could wear
it with a little black dress!

Happy Sewing!

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations to the proud family! You look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to the graduate! You look absolutely lovely. The little black dress is certainly a saviour for many a situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was the only one with that pantyhose/feet-sliding-out-of-shoes problem. Good to know it's not just me!

    Congrats on the graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, shucks & thanks, y'all.
    Peter, glad I could assist.

    When I saw all the photos, I thought my hair looked an awful lot like a helmet. So I thinned the bangs. myself. with embroidery scissors.

    This will result in little mohawk-like sprouts in the next few weeks.

    Oh, and another reprimand from my hairdresser.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The idea of the LBD (PRN -- Petite Robe Noire in French) is one of the few in fashion that I wholeheartedly embrace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back and congrads. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robin,

    So glad you had a wonderful graduation weekend with your step son. You look absolutely smashing in this picture--beautiful, beautiful.

    Karen aka Karendee

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do look fantastic! The scarf is beautiful and you make me think that I need one of those little black dresses. Flesh coloured fishnet pantyhose look younger and more modern than leggs style flesh toned pantyhose in MHO. Nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite beautiful, and I'm putting those stockings on my shopping list now! K

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look wonderful. Congratulations to your graduate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations. Heel grips will stop the pantihose slide problem.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo