Sunday, March 27, 2011

Scenes from the workroom

Today was another productive day at couture boot camp.  The hours relaxed into zen-like fluidity as we marked, hand-basted underlinings, and cut fabric.  
My own project has evolved a bit.  As of yesterday morning, the lace was to stand alone as a bolero jacket with a chiffon tie as a closure.  Alas, the color of the lace (you could call it gun metal) proved challenging to match.  The best option was a slightly lighter poly chiffon.  It's a sheer fabric that looks nice as an underlining for the guipure.  The fact that poly chiffon is evil is irrelevant - this is the fabric I'll use.  One must suffer for beauty.  Or curse, as the case may be.
Blue underlining for my guipure bolero
 Each dressmaker possesses a vision, determination and remarkable focus.  It takes but a short conversation to realize each woman is a sewing warrior in her own right.
a custom dress form made with plaster for the dressmaker's daughter.
Hall-of-Fame mother is sewing a custom gown for daughter's prom.  
working steadily and progressing quickly
A guipure lace jacket from Susan's trunk provides guidance for my jacket.  The lace and underlining were treated as a single piece and seams sewn normally - as opposed to overlapping the lace over the seam.
K working on her corselet for her self-draped gown
I stepped away before embarrassing myself by drooling on someone else's
personal belongings.  Observe notions galore and a Marfy pattern all tucked into a traveling organizer.
(my stuff is in a paper bag)
This is a fascinating experience in many ways.  It is really interesting to meet other people who are as obsessed with sewing as you are.  We understand each other very quickly!

Happy Sewing - thank goodness for the internet, right?  We have found each other here.



Happy Sewing!

19 comments:

  1. Wow -- that really looks like fun. Did you have to bring your own sewing machine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, we all brought our own machines. It IS a lot of fun! Peter, you'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robin! I just joined your merry band of followers and wanted to say hi (Hi!). Also, I'm not sure if I'm coveting the boot camp or that organizer full of notions more. :D

    Have a great time! I can't wait to see how everything turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are having a good time! Can't wait to see how the jacket turns out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get so jealous when I hear about the great workshops you attend. Australia is definitely not where the action is regarding training.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks like such a wonderful time! and i, tool, would drool over those beautifully organized notions. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cool! What a fabulous experience. I'm a freelance clothing designer, but never got a workroom experience like this! I would have died with excitement! =) Yay for you!

    Kristina J.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful time! Everything looks fabulous. You and Gertie have inspired me to finally finish my Chanel-style jacket that I started in Susan's class.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It reminds me of the Sit & Sew session. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are SO lucky! Can't wait to see how your jacket turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like a heavenly way to spend time. Boot camp? I don't think so. If I could manage the commute from the UK I would love to join you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Robin, I stumbled upon Susan's schedule this past weekend and realized that I had "just" missed a class she had in Nashville (3 hrs from me). OH MAN!!!! I was S-I-C-K!!! I'm on her mailing list now so hopefully she'll come this way again next year. How about whispering ATLANTA in her ear for me. Puh-leeeeze! LOL Can't wait to see you lace jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So happy you share :))))

    I love reading about these workshops.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved your blog
    I love to sew and have a few creations on my blog.
    I'm following
    kisses from Brazil

    http://munamo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boy, am I jealous. What a fabulous time you must be having.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday (again) and happy 300+!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooh, I am so jealous. I loved two days with Ssan last spring when she was in Florida. I'm just imaging six days with such a wonderful group. Glad to hear that you are enjoying every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds intense and awesome! I am really looking forward to seeing the jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, that looks awesome! I am so jealous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.