Tuesday, March 29, 2011

a little lace jacket, coming along

In addition to enjoying the entertainment* at Couture Sewing School, I am actually sewing a jacket.
As you may recall, I am working with guipure lace and underlining it with polyester chiffon.  Neither polyester nor chiffon are often mentioned as a ideal choice for underlining.  Perhaps poly chiffon is never recommended, however, it was the right color and it looks pretty, so it's happening. 

Poly chiffon is reluctant to sit still and behave.  I had to square up each piece carefully, then pin the muslin to the fabric, directly on the stitching lines.  In order to transfer the stitching lines to the fabric, I marked with chalk pencil.  The chalk brushes away easily so there are no worries of staining.  Normally, the markings on the underlining serve as a guideline for basting to the fashion fabric.  

Amusingly, in this case, the chalk markings were insufficient.  Ah, ha ha ha, yes, it was necessary to thread trace the stitching lines to the underlining.   What a little rascal that fabric is!   No worries, I was happy to hand-baste every seam.  Once that was completed, I basted the underlining to the lace.  This didn't take long, maybe 2 days, tops.

 By the end of  today I assembled the bodice.  The one-inch side seams were trimmed down except for a single layer of the chiffon, which you can see in the lower right hand corner above.  That inch of chiffon was then folded over and hand-sewn into place as a seam binding.

This part (seriously, not kidding now) went quickly. 


* there is some goofing off, laughing and general merriment.  It is refreshing to walk around and see other projects, or, perhaps, make a trip to the trunk.  Susan's trunk contains many treasures.  

Here is a particularly lovely corset.  Is it not amazing to see Susan Khalje's work?  A true artist, she is.  Thank you Gigi, for modeling!



13 comments:

  1. Robin - I didn't comment on the first couple of posts but I have been avidly following along! Thanks for posting every day about your adventures and thanks for the shots of Gigi! Tell her I said heyyyy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hee hee hee... gang sewing is so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gang sewing! Love that expression. The lace corset is gorgeous on Gigi. Just exquisite. Can't wait to see you finished bolero jacket. Have some more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cissie, Diana brought her lace gown.
    Ab-so-lute-ly gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of gang sewing too. I wish the internet was more tactile. I wanted so badly to touch your lace. It is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am soooo jealous of you. You're having way too much fun (and learning at the same time!). Can't wait to see your finished jacket, because so far it looks absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am getting very excited to see this lace jacket, I have a feeling it is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great going Robin. I hope Gigi delivered my message :-).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking good so far! Can't wait to see the finished article.
    Gigi is really rocking that corset!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I'm gonna love this one, Robin! Thanks for the class scenes so we can live vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, I look really, really tired but I'm having so much fun with a bunch of really wonderful ladies. What a wonderful experience this is!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Robin, love your blog! I just finished the BYW class with Holly and Leslie. Enjoy the class with Susan! I thought about signing up for the draping class she offers. I am currently in a a patternmaking class at MACA www.marylandacademyofcouturearts.com. I also took an interfacing workshop with Sarah Veblen a couple months ago. Let's keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.