Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Joy of Learning

Today at Camp Couture, individual projects became noticeably closer to completion.  It is remarkable what has been accomplished this week.  Tomorrow, we will sew more, then pack up and return home to our families, friends, pets, jobs and normal schedules.  We'll leave with new skills,  better understanding and deeper appreciation for the art of fine sewing.

This evening, I am thinking of a beautiful Marfy sheath dress sewn from black-on-black linen jacquard.  I am so sorry she bought the last of it, otherwise I'd go back and buy some for myself.  The dressmaker has been sewing for two years.  She hit a rough spot yesterday when she accidentally cut right into the bodice of her dress.  She looked on, tearfully, as Susan calmly devised a new design feature involving extra seams and scraps of fabric.  As a newcomer, this dressmaker is well aware that she has a lot to learn.  And, she is in her seventies.  That takes guts, you know? By the way, that dress looks beyond fabulous on her.

I admire people who see the green grass yonder and waste no time charging ahead.  That's what we, in the sewing community, have in common.  If you are reading this now, thank you for being a part of this creative energy.  It nourishes me, as it does all of us.

This evening, we enjoyed dinner together and Cidell joined us.  Many of our classmates stayed behind to work.  There has been a good bit of sewing around the clock.  Tonight, however, was a wonderful evening of laughter and companionship.
From left to right, Gertie. Amazing Anna, Susan Khalje, me, Best Baster Barb, Gigi and Cidell.

I am happy I could share this with you.  Of course, I am also sorry that more of us can't get together, for geographical reasons.  But at least we have this real-time online news network, right?  And it's a wonderful thing.

Happy sewing, my friends.

13 comments:

  1. I wish I could get together with some other sewists and bloggers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing it with us, sounds like you had a wonderful time. I too wish I could access things like this, but you are certainly right about the value of the online network.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great workshop/retreat! Thanks for sharing your reports. I look forward to seeing your finished piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely picture. I am glad you are having a wonderful time. My heart really goes out to the lady who cut into the bodice of her dress, ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great experience you are having. Thanks for sharing it with us! I hope one day to meet up with other sewing bloggers too. Or maybe some would like to come to my way???

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful!!!! Thank you for sharing that picture, and for sharing your experiences with us. Several sewing friends are converging on my studio Saturday morning for a "Stitch and B*tch". I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great picture of some very nice people!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I've been reading the updates on Gertie's blog, too and I'm so jealous! I'd love to take a class with Susan, and that you get to meet all those sewers is just a brilliant extra on top!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's terribly cool that a woman in her 70's is taking up the joy of sewing. I've done the whole cut a hole into my latest sewing project merely clipping off a few threads. Sigh....You want to cry, and maybe you do, but then after you step away from it for a few hours or even days, you come back and realize that you can selvedge it somehow. Yay! Isn't that the best? A woman's intuition, coupled with a creative outlet, a problem and a happy ending! Totally jealous I wasn't there!

    xoxo,
    Sunni

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun! And what a great picture - you all look so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a wonderful experience! The people working round the clock sounds a bit like the exhausting nature of Project Runway (I always feel so sorry for them), but in this case it is for pure love and I totally understand.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am looking forward to my own retreat with the fab Ms. Khalje in July. I have been really wondering what sort of project to work on and reading your blog has helped me a lot! Post photos of your project once it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Robin, what an amazing experience for all of you. Creativity just bounces off each picture.

    Karen aka Karendee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.