By noon yesterday, here's what I had to show for my efforts:
I sure have gotten pickier about how things fit and how clothes feel. The shoulder & neck alterations were successful. The bust, waistline and hips were in the right place with just the amount of ease I like.
But there was so much extra fabric in the back, above the waistline.
|I could have pinched out inches - but where to put it? What alteration would work? I didn't want to change the dart into a princess seam because the darts seem important to the design.|
As I sat and pondered, I came to the conclusion that no further alterations would improve the appearance. No matter what I did to this, it would interfere with the design or create a new fitting issue. The fashion fabric has a very stiff hand, so it would look fine. I just had to decide if that's what I wanted. I figured - no, I don't. Maybe a different sort of design would please me better - something like this Butterick jacket:
Spending time on pattern alterations and sewing a muslin can be discouraging. So I had to change the mood in the sewing nook.
Diagnosis: tired brain
Prescription: mindless sewing
I cut out six shirts, all using my TNT shirt pattern:
|The pile in the upper left hand corner is actually 2 shirts. One fabric is striped and the other is windowpane. Everything is marked, fusing is done and the the bobbins are wound.|
This morning, with a fresh attitude, Vogue 7764 jacket was yanked from death row. I've pulled it from the trash can. And because Butterick 5568 is on sale this week, I ordered it, too.
Harmony has been restored. All is well in sewing land.