Sunday, January 16, 2011

Jacket-A-Month: January coat

Here is DSD's coat so far.  It has been an easy sew from a decision-making point of view.  I am following the construction techniques per the manufacturer of the original coat.  The decisions about fabric, pattern and construction techniques can be paralyzing!  Am I right?  Can I get an Amen, Sister?
Of course, it is still time-consuming, but that's what Netflix is for.  I've been watching television shows like Glee, Saturday Night Live and I need more suggestions.  What else is popular that I have missed?

DSD's coat is my January Jacket.  [I am participating in the Jacket-a-Month project, too.  It was inspired by Gigi and all JAM chatter is happening over on the Stitchers Guild sewing discussion forum. I don't think I mentioned that yesterday].

And thanks to Sherry for posting a comment about Casey's Swing Dress Sewalong.
If you aren't already reading, Sherry is a real (educated and experienced) pattern-maker and custom dressmaker, so she drops all kinds of insanely useful information on her blog Pattern~Scissors~Cloth .  Likewise, if you don't already read Casey's Elegant Musings, check it out; a very pretty blog.

Today, happy anniversary to my dear husband.  In 2005, we merged two households with teenagers, a couple of high pressure jobs and a challenging commute between Baltimore and Washington DC.  We are all thriving.  I love you, my dear!  And deep thanks to our children for sticking with us through thick and thin.

To everyone else, Happy Martin Luther King Eve, day!
*And, as always, happy sewing*

19 comments:

  1. Wow, this is absolutely fabulous. So au courant. Where again is the Giorgio Armani fabric from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ASW- I got the last 3 yards on the bolt from Michael's Fabrics. He's always got lots of super nice wools for very reasonable prices. NAYY

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are capturing the Armani style of elegant simplicity. Love the look so far - what is the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gail, I made a pattern from the original coat (shown on bulletin board). Then I altered the pattern up a size.
    It is just a replica of an existing RTW coat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary. I really like the jacket pattern you chose. Loooovely...

    I'm not sure what's popular, but I'm watching HBO's Rome in my sewing room at the moment, and BBC's Tudors. I haven't seen Tudors before and I'm not sure I love it, but we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Robin, this looks great so far! I signed up for the jacket-a-month sewalong but I don't know if I'll finish mine actually in January. Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your DSD's coat is looking amazing so far! Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking very good so far and the fabric must be a dream to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The coat is looking great - the pockets and collar look so beautifully put together - lucky DSD!
    Thanks for the lovely mention, and have a wonderful anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The coat looks fabulous but I have a definite AMEN SISTER! I am suffering from fabric paralysis at the moment - far too much choice from the stash (shopping forbidden at present).I have ordered a new dress form and am hoping she will shake up my ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous! I have to agree about all the planning decisions being paralyzing at times. You do look like you've worked past however. I hope that we get a modeling on DSD when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. DSD's coat is impressive! I look forward to the modeling! I'm watching Mad Men while I'm working on my jacket. I like watching the history of the times and the retro fashions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's looking great. Happy Anniversary!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A late "Happy Anniversary"! Your DsD's coat looks fantastic so far. Thanks for the blog link. I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Robin! My coat is looking AWESOME!!! I can't wait to try it on. Thank you so so so so much, and Happy Anniversary:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Late to the party, but happy anniversary! Congrats to the two of you merging two families. The coat is looking great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH, Modern Family! It is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.