Friday, January 21, 2011

jacket-A-Month: January coat progress

Progress on the coat continues.  The sleeves are in and the facings are on.   This is the easiest type of collar for me to construct- it is on a collar stand, like a trench coat.  There is no pad stitching necessary.  

This is the first time I have block-fused coat fabric with interfacing and I like it.  It's a stiffer look than fabric stabilized with hymo canvas (as in my gray coat) and it's a little tricky to sew some of the tighter areas, like the armholes.  I don't think I'll fuse interfacing for the vintage Butterick 4627 coat.  I am glad I did not fuse that fabric already.

And the lining is ready to go in:

After I have hemmed the coat and coat sleeves, I will sew the edge of the lining to the facing edges and hand sew the lining hem to the coat.  Then come the buttons and buttonholes (machine-sewn) and finished.

*breather*

The fancy party dress isn't needed for a few months.  And, I am not sure I want to tackle another coat right away, either.  Maybe it's a good time to let things settle and see what tickles my fancy.  

A little surfing around the blog neighborhood will give me some ideas.   
I am so much more productive thanks to the online sewing community - you all inspire me to reach higher and try a little harder.  Thank you for that.

T.G.I.F and have a great weekend!


12 comments:

  1. That coat is looking very fine, Robin. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking lovely! From a hands-in-pockets-girl, I love the idea that those lower pockets open to the side! Do they still function as a flap pocket too?
    You are so right about the online sewing community inspiring us to try harder - I am always unpicking things because I think "I can't put that wonky zip/stitching/sleeve/whatever on my blog!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. The coat is looking outstanding. I agree with you. The sewing blog world has really helped me increase my productivity and stimulated my passion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your coat is coming along beautifully. Like you, I find the online sewing community incredibly inspiring and motivating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your coat!! Especially those very cool pockets :) great job Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great looking coat, and like the pocket detail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is beautiful, Robin you are in overdrive these days, great work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This coat is amazing. The pockets are superb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOOH!! My coat looks awesome! The lining is so blue! I am so excited for it! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work...I like the pocket detail.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work, this will be a wonderful coat. And soo agree with you on the online sewing community: very inspiring and it has certainly taken up the level of my sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I've already told you how much I like this coat. If not, let me say it again..its fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo