Sunday, January 2, 2011

How to prepare a coat pattern

How to prepare a coat pattern in a 4-day weekend? 
Attempt to prepare 2 coat patterns for the 2 coats you think you can sew.
(what? Am I attempting simultaneous sewing?  I am out of touch with reality!)

I am replicating this coat for Kelly, my stepdaughter.  She dug around and found this coat she had worn in high school.  Nothing like a nice classic wool coat!  But it is too small :)
I took apart the coat (a la LindsayT's coat lining project for her daughter) and used half of it to make pattern pieces.  I left the other half intact, to serve as construction guidance.

After making fitting adjustments and sewing a muslin, we had a fitting today and the final pattern is ready to go.  The neckline and shoulders fit perfectly and the rest of the adjustments were straight forward.


The biggest excitement in my life is the steam pressing machine I procured.  It is the large rectangle kind that opens like a clamshell.  I should have it by next weekend,  Oh yes, there will be some steam pressing and interfacing fused and just all-around-general-ironing fun.
Because I am a seamstress and that's what we do.

Happy Sewing and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

13 comments:

  1. Ooh, new tools, how exciting! And wow, you're ambitious taking apart a coat Keep us posted.
    !

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly takes another seamstress to understand the fun of ironing tools!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Because I am a seamstress and that's what we do." Love it! Can't wait to see the coat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you are going to love the steam press. It is one of the best pieces of equipment that you can buy and make a place for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The biggest excitement in my new year is your pressing tool!! Seriously :) I was looking at my seersuckers and some wools and thought, 'Oh. Robin will have a press soon. I can just go over there with a bottle of wine and movie." :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so ambitious to sew two coats simataneously. Congrats on the press. I have a smaller one and it gets a workout with every garment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh do please let us know how fusing goes with your new pressing equipment! I'll keep on dreaming of that one, while living vicariously through other people's blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The steam presser sounds amazing! I just bought two pieces of boucle and am not relishing the boring fusing by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your new press! I am officially jealous, now! I am still jealous of the custom dress form! Happy New Year! I wish I lived closer. I'd also come over with a bottle of wine and a movie - LOL. I'd bring chocolate, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL, a pressing party!

    I told a co-worker I will teach her how to sew if she brings me a tuna fish sandwich :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two coats at once, ambitious! But sure you can do it.

    The pressing tool sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You are going to be the coat guru now. I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo