Sunday, November 14, 2010

scarves a'plenty

I sewed lots of little baby hems over the weekend and now I have scarves.  Nothing like jumping right into the deep end of the pool.  I am now a wearer of scarves:
I'll leave them on the dress form for a while and enjoy the view :)
I decided not to insert elastic or anything tricky.  Just baby hems along the edges.  I cannot remember where I learned how to do this.  I must have read it somewhere.






In addition to the silks I got at G Street Fabrics, I found a few at Michael's 'A Fabric Place' in Baltimore. I picked up a couple pieces of fine wool suitings for pants.

Has this happened to you?  I am really tired of clothes that wear out too fast.  Specifically, all of my pants are too short!  I am talking about the cotton khaki and twill pants I've sewn over the last year.  I pre-washed but I seem doomed the awkwardness of short pants.  The only thing that really lasts forever is menswear wool suiting.  I don't dry clean - I just wash them on the gentle cycle.  So, I will make more and perhaps some skirts.  I've lost any loyalty towards cotton.  For now, anyway.

I hope you had a nice weekend.  It is gorgeous in our neck of the woods - my favorite time of year.
Happy Sewing!

16 comments:

  1. Wow, a whole new scarf wardrobe in a few days. I know what you mean about cotton. Pants seem to shrink although my skirts don't seem to be as affected. Hooray wool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice scarves! Re the ever shrinking cotton pants, isn't it annoying!! I've learnt to pre-wash all pant weight cotton fabric at least three times, but it doesn't solve RTW. Grrr!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful collection of scarves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How kewl are all of these lovely scarves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow those are oh soo cute and neat they look like they come out the store. Nice job

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your scarves ,they really can make a boring outfit dressy ! Thanks for the tutorial on the baby hems I must try this one day .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about cotton. I am a big fan of wool. Thanks for posting about your scarves. I think I know how I will use some of my smaller cuts now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love these so much! Yay for scarf-wearers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing method hemming scarfs - thanks for this!
    Concerning shrinking cotton - I made the same experience with cotton jerseys. Nearly every Shirt seems to have too short sleeves after a while it seems to me :-(

    Greets,
    Liese

    ReplyDelete
  10. Short pants are sooooo annoying. You wouldn't think it would happen to me at my height, but sometimes I see that my pants are a squidge too short. Yuck.

    Gorgeous scarves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your scarves. I wear many during the fall and winter.

    I agree with you about the 100% cotton. It's especially annoying considering all the time we've taken to fit pants. I do find that a cotton blend lasts longer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the tutorial. I'm planning to make several scraves for Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been thinking about making some scarves. Yours are very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely scarves they are, and definitely not dull! ;)

    I agree with you about wool versus cotton for wear, but cotton is easier to wash should you fall in a puddle, so I suppose I shall have to keep a couple of pair.

    Thank you also for the scarf tying tutorial. I am always looking for new ways to wrap myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing dear you are really doing a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.