Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Mojo U-turn

I had a little time today so I went to the mall and bought a few solid color V-neck sweaters to wear with the shirts I'm sewing.  My wardrobe is shaping up to be a lot of basics, so I need some pizazz to accessorize.  I looked at scarves and saw some nice things, but nothing just right.   I was close to G Street Fabrics, so I picked up silks for scarves.  Two of them were 58" wide, so I bought 1/4 yard.  The other 2 were only 45" wide, so I bought a half yard each.
I already sewed narrow hems onto my favorite piece and here is my new scarf:

I really liked looking at colors and patterns for a change.  
A silk scarf around the neck is so nice this time of year.

I named the fabrics:

For this one, I think I will use an idea I picked up when browsing at the mall.  I will run a channel for elastic up the center turning it into a long ruffle - does that make sense?  I can see it in my mind's eye.  It will bear some resemblance to an oversized scrunchie.   

Sewing my own scarves is something I have wanted to do for years.  

So simple, but I never got around to it until today.  It was a bright spot in an otherwise very stressful day.
Happy mid-week to you.

14 comments:

  1. Fabulous fabrics, especially "vibrant." They will brighten your spirits on a dreary day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last pic's scarf is jaw-dropping gorgeous. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 'vibrant' fabric is divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You bought some gorgeous silks, love the vibrant especially.
    Must be in the air, I did sew an infinity scarf from silk last week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are killing me. This is such a smart idea and the fabrics are gorgeous. You are going to look soooo elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I was just thinking about this the other day. Because it is getting to the end of the year, I'm starting to get ideas as to what I'm going to sew next year - some sort of sewing goals. I realized, like you, that I have a lot of basics in my closet. Basics that need some help in the accessory department. I thought about taking a look at all those poly silkies at Joann's, which I very rarely buy and then only for a cheap but interesting lining. The thought was to make some quick scarves - I won't spend a lot of money on them and if they go out of style or I get tired of them, I certainly didn't pay what retails wants for a hemmed rectangle of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your fabrics! Scarves really can add that zing to an outfit that's all too basic. My problem is that it seems that most of the scarves that I make, I give away. So where does that leave me??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those fabrics are awesome. Especially love the vibrant and the moody too.
    I remember a while back Ralph Lauren had those ruffle scarfs and I saved a few pics for my inspiration, it's on the 'to do' list, I must just get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the names for the fabric.

    I did a gathered scarf and it is a lot of fun to wear, it works really well. (My details here with links to a tutorial)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been planning on doing the same thing...guess I need to take a trip to G St myself.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely fabrics. They will make beautiful scarves.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful fabric and I love that you named them.

    What beautiful scarves they make.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The vibrant silk one is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.