Friday, September 17, 2010

the coat is coming along

Soon this whole coat will be put together.  I have sewn the sleeves and I suppose they will go in next.  I decided to sew a little bit of top-stitching in a slightly lighter shade of gray.

Here is what the pad stitching looked like on the undercollar before it was assembled:

The lining is going to be a little tricky in terms of the sequence of construction.
I will make a regular lining for the bodice and attach it as one would normally expect.  But the skirt of this coat has a large pleat in the back and it seems best if I apply the lining more as one would apply an interlining.  In other words, I will attach the lining before I sew the pleat and attach the skirt to the bodice.  It just seems better this way to me.  I do want to sew piping between the edge of the lining and the front facing.  I think I'll have to attach it to the facing.  And I am betting there will be hand sewing involved.

Buttons?  I don't know yet.  I bought some at Mood, but I don't like them that much.  I checked G street and nothing excited me there.  I found some at Michael's that I liked.  I just wanted to LOVE my buttons.  We'll see. 

HappyWeekend!!

20 comments:

  1. Your coat in coming along nicely. I really like the added lighter grey topstitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your coat is going great. I am actually making the same pattern ATM, also in grey. Except mine is the version with the large patch pockets and won't have any top stitching. I will also be attaching the skirt lining as one so the lining folds into the back pleat - much nicer I think. Good luck with yours. It's pretty much spring here now so I probably won't get to wear mine until next June :( .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pad stitching, Robin! This is going to be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great progress! I love the topstitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your coat looks incredible. Great job on the padstitching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The inside, how gorgeous too. Simply love the "keep calm and carry on" placket behind your coat. So to the point when sewing such a complicated project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your collar looks beautiful inside and out! Thanks for showing your pad stitching, it's something I've never done and it is nice to see a successful example. The light grey top stitching is a nice touch, it adds definition without shouting. I am looking forward to seeing your coat progress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't realize that you were hand tailoring this. Gorgeous pad stitching girl! The collar looks perfect. Take a look at Sawyer Brook as they have some nice buttons right now and you can search by color finally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking great. I'm in awe of that pad stitching...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Golly that's gorgeous! Love following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Your finished coat is going to be amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job on the pad stitching.
    The collar looks perfect as does the top-stitching.

    Is that your finished dress form? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the pad stitching and the top stitching. Just Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is going to be one great coat, Robin. Your pad stitching looks so professional, as do all of the other elements of the coat as well. I'm enjoying following along with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is an amazing piece of work, so precise. I am very impressed. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beatifully done! It is looking so nice. Kristine just posted some really lovely buttons and her source: http://kbdesigns74.blogspot.com/2010/09/busy-busy-busy.html

    I certainly would make that you love, love, love the buttons. You've put too much time into making this so beautiful not to love the buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a button lover too and found some great ones on eBay. That coat is going to be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhh, how nice! I'm going to be watching this carefully, as this is the year of the coat:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo