Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Insta-Swimsuit

Fellow sewists, I debated ... is this TMI?  You can always close the screen and go look at someone else's blog if you don't want to see a woman of a certain age in her swimsuit. I like my quickie swimsuit, so I decided to show you:
In action.  It works.  (yay!)
I know you want to see the beachy mural on the wall in our little rental :)


I covered the straps with strips of the swimsuit fabric.  There was hand-sewing involved.

As you can see, I just used the black thread that was already on the serger.  There was no time for fussy details like, oh, matching thread.
The outer shell was just a camisole sewn from my TNT cami pattern.  It is attached in 4 places; at each spot where the strap joins the body.


And the swimsuit bottom is nothing more than a TNT panty pattern, sewn using regular plush elastic on the legs (I turned the decorative edge inwards so it wouldn't look too underwear-ish). I used the same wide elastic waist treatment that I developed for my athletic-wear shorts.  Yep, the waistband is a little too big, but there was no time to unpick the seams and do it over.  It works fine - I can just roll it down and then it fits.

I sewed the whole thing in just a couple hours, and no bras were harmed in the making of this swimsuit.   It will be returned to active duty as soon as this vacation is over.  :)

24 comments:

  1. When I am a certain age, I would kill for your legs. I might kill for them now. I love that you used a panty pattern because I always think I look best in my underwear :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! And, you look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, thanks for sharing a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out great! I'm working on making bras and panties now. Great idea to incorporate those into swimsuits (using the correct fabric, of course!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look fantastic and what a perfect idea for a bathing suit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! I especially like the way the bottoms fit in the back. How resourceful of you to use the bra, I never would have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha-ha, just add water! Great suit and so fast and easy. And you made it yourrrrrrr waayyyy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to stop and think what TMI was. Of course it is not. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well thank heavens no bras were harmed! Seriously, I loved this post. It was really uplifting to see what you did with your limited materials and your positive tone when reporting your progress. Hope you don't mind, but I'm keeping a copy of your post for future reference. My TNT cami and panty is different from yours' but I can see using them in nearly the same manner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good on you for sharing your swim suit. I think it's great that you did that - a healthy body at any age is a thing to be admired and wondered at this miracle called life. Anyway, after Rocket boy (as he was previously known and what a shame he got all serious on us - if you are reading this Brian, I love your fun side) has softened us all up on Pattern review, I don't blink an eyelid at any shape or form, in whatever way it is presented.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your swimsuit is great, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a fantastic idea!! I would never have thought of using an old bra in the making of bathers, but it works beautifully. Well done!
    And your bathers fit to a T and look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That suits fits you great, it's a wonderful color, and frankly, you have nothing to hide!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never comment but I love your page. I think this bathing suit is super cute! I can tell you felt a little self conscious posting this but no worries! It looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect swimsuit that suits you very well. And indeed: nothing to hide, hope you use it a lot this week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! Thanks for sharing. You look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great and is a FAB colour on you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Look away? It's better than looking in the mirror!! Great job.

    Thought you might be interested in making a pair of sandals to go with. Just learned about this tutorial: http://annekata.blogspot.com/2010/07/make-your-own-summer-sandals.html

    I posted it to my blog after running it by her. Thought yours might, too.

    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is a GREAT suit and I prefer to think of the black thread as a "Designer Detail".

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really great, classic suit. Can you point me in the direction of where the instructions might be?

    Many thanks for sharing your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.