Monday, July 26, 2010

Road Trip to Wolf Forms

We drove up to New Jersey, just outside of New York City, to Wolf Forms.  I wore my stripey dress.
While I was measured, Howie wandered around the shop and charmed the ladies.
He always asked first if they were OK with being photographed.  As you can see, the people are friendly and seem to enjoy showing what they do.
It doesn't take a lot of imagination to come up with jokes.
Oh look below - there's my dress form on the top right! Ha ha, just kidding.
Oh wait, this is it!  No, just kidding (again).
This dress form (above) has a story.  The short version is that the form has become a permanent fixture in the shop.  It was paid-in-full years ago, but the customer never arranged to have it shipped to her.  The long version is a little more colorful :)

Now, I know the most interesting thing would be to see the measurements and information that Burt recorded.  But I was so busy standing with good posture that I was not able to collect information at the same time.  Plus, I felt shy and introverted today for some reason.  Sometimes that happens.  The good news is that I recognized all the numbers - today's measurements were consistent with the numbers I see on a regular basis as I sew my own clothing. (whew! I felt quite relieved about that!)

Measurements are recorded on a paper form that includes line drawings of a human body.  Burt sketched in bits of detail, and made notes to record information about the shape of the body.  Also, he takes Polaroid pictures of front, side and back with the person standing in front of a grid on the wall.  This shows body asymmetries easily.  People do buy dress forms without going to the shop.  It is possible to be measured by a local tailor or dressmaker and fax the order.  He also asked if I want to come back for another fitting, midway through the process, to fine tune posture.  It is not a requirement - even the muslin was not a requirement.  But if they think they can do a better job with more information, then, sure, I will provide whatever they want.  When it's finished, I'll go and pick it up - that will save a few hundred dollars in crating & shipping. 

All in all, quite a nice little trip. 
:)  Happy Sewing!

18 comments:

  1. Robin, stupid question, but are you actually getting a Wolf dress form made to your specifications? Wow! I look forward to seeing and hearing about the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I resemble that last form! (The one with the colorful story.) Wow, it's so... detailed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janis, yes, I am actually getting a Wolf dress form custom made to my measurements. It is very exciting!
    shams, LOL! That form is held in fond regard at the shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So exciting! Can't wait to see your finished form. I think I may have one of these in my future . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool to have a custom form. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Color me green too. :-) I first read your title as "Wolf Farms" ... where they grow dress forms?? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool to have the custom form and it is wonderful to see all the pictures of forms in process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, color me green too. What a great experience besides. I'd go back for a fitting too. Can't wait to see the finished form.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting blog post Robin. I had no idea that these custom forms were still made. I love your striped travel dress. You look so cool and comfortable in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool trip - very fascinating. I think you're right to give them as much info as possible; the dress form will be a much better replication of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, I am officially jealous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is just the coolest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am soooooo happy for you! I want one too! I can't wait to hear and see how having your own custom form inspires you. I like your stripy dress. Do I see draping in your future?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very happy for you and look forward to seeing the finished form. I just finished padding out a dress form and there is nothing like a dose of reality ... lumps and all. I think I resemble one of these forms :o).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that is so cool - thanks for sharing the photos! Can't wait to see what YOUR dressform looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW this is soooo very exciting. I too am officially jealous but so very happy for you. I am anxious to see/hear all about your form when you get it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo