Friday, July 2, 2010

little white dots marching in a row

My dress is about halfway sewn up and I need to think about a lining.  This is the underlining.  Rayon Bemberg?  What do you use for a summer dress to be worn on a hot day?
My dress fabric is this silk-linen blend that Archie found for a little nap.  The camera noise woke her up, but only briefly. We call her Chip-Monkey because she moves very quickly, like a chipmunk.
Very happy to be into day 2 of the new fiscal year 2011.  I worked a 21 hour day yesterday and, well, frankly I feel pretty macho about it.  LOL.  For what it's worth. I have worked out how to pull an all-nighter and work hard the next day and keep sane.  Now, for a Three Day Weekend, oh YAY.  And I ate some Ben & Jerry's ice cream tonight and it.was.good.
Next time I will write about the construction steps of this dress.  Working from a muslin is way different than what I am used to and I am making it up as I go along. 
As you can see, I pushed the machine out of the way and spread out to do all the hand-basting of the underlining to the fabric.  It is soooo relaxing!  I do love me some hand-sewing.  That was quite a few days ago and I look forward to diving back into this project now.
Lining.  Need to get some lining ...

7 comments:

  1. Ok - your post has just convinced me I need to get a tracing wheel. It looks so much neater and less complicated when everything is dotted out like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! Archie is the spitting image of my girl, Sooty! I just showed her photo to my husband and he thought it was our girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to buy a tracing wheel like yours. I assume you are using some type of marking paper with it. I have seen where others were using using some sort of ink pad to trace pattern on to tracking paper with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about a cotton batiste? It makes a very cool lining that doesn't stick to the body.
    Are you using those big sheets from Greenberg and Hammer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to say the same as Nancy K. Cotton batiste. I don't know what your climate is like but the city I live in has really high summer humidity and it's the only thing that is comfortable because it breathes better than any other fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a well deserved relaxing long week end :)

    I too like the idea of cotton batiste for the lining. It would be very light and comfortable.

    * Archie is looking very comfortable where she is :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to have 3 days to recuperate. I also like handwork. Your space looks so nice and neat. I like your fabric. I also agree with those who suggest batiste. Will you be dry cleaning the dress?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy Sewing, xo

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.